Author Topic: Police London and Birmingham Railway  (Read 7268 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Police London and Birmingham Railway
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 May 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant, nice to see your message and I'm sorry you have lost your parents  :(

You have been very lucky to have boxes of information to go through  :), it's amazing how much info you can get from these things, don't forget to look at the back of postcards, letters, photos etc. as there is often info there that you might miss. If you have albums of photos be careful to look at the back of those photos but be careful when you remove them. This seems obvious but it's surprising how many photos I have that have been torn off the album hiding all the important stuff. I found my dad's leather WW2 personal hygiene case, he was an officer and they had such things. Inside a tube was his dog tags and a note. You never know where things are hiding, check for secret compartments!

I'm not sure how to check the details of the presentation of this jug but the National Archives have just released some information on railway workers, it came up on my email from them as I registered with them and I get newsletters.     

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/railway-overview

It might be worth pasting this link and seeing what they have. Also as Mazi said, Railway Bill was very helpful and the BTPHG   http://www.btphg.org.uk   were also helpful.

It goes without saying that in my experience everyone on Rootschat is very helpful!!

Sadly I don't think your Wilkinsons and mine are closely related as my family originate from Ticknall, Derbyshire and came to London through the Army, (2nd Life Guards, John was at the Battle of Waterloo) and then he joined the London and Birmingham Railway eventually based at Linslade, Buckinghamshire. Linslade was later, in 1963, to become famous for the bridge where "The Great Train Robbery" took place.

My only other suggestion is that the National Railway Museum in York might be interested in your find. If you photograph it and send them a picture who knows it might interest them. 

Good luck with the family history and have fun using Rootschat.

Diane
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline Grant Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 May 14 05:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Diane!

Also for your advice. I still have lots of boxes to go through and a big suitcase of photos too, I plan to visit my Fathers sister, hopefully she will remember some of the people in the photos, that have no names, the albums are very old, but the photos are good, whoever did them must have put the photos in straight away. Really glad I have come across RootsChat, people on Chat have been very helpful, just got to get my head around the whole process, I am very interested to find out more,

Cheers

Grant

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
it seems that as late as 1850 railway companies were still using the term Railway Policeman in their official rules book to describe what we now call signalmen.

This is correct.

The railway policemen were responsible for the security of the line (and goods in transit) and for the regulation of traffic movements.

Within living memory, signalmen were referred to as "bobbies" by railwaymen (see e.g. the writings of Adrian Vaughan)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Railway Bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 September 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
I am always happy to help those with railway police enquiries or the btphg.org.uk site can be checked and an enquiry raised. This is the site for the History Group of the British Transport Police and its 250+ constituent railway, dock and canal forces from 1829.
Some of the answers on rootschat regarding the railway, dock or canal police can be misleading or plainly incorrect...the history group do not necessarily have all the answers but the ones they do have are accurate.
The history of the railway, dock and canal police is long and complex.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
I might also add ... most of the records of the LMS and its constituent companies were lost in a fire at Derby in 1951.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Railway Bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Useful information JBML...thank you