Author Topic: Graham's of Cumberland  (Read 99863 times)

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graham's of Cumberland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Papamoa,  Just logged on and saw your request re Graham of Arthuret.  I live 3 miles from Arthuret and we have Netherby Hall one mile away where the Grahams  lived for a lot of years.  They dont live in the hall now as they had to sell it but still live just outside the grounds.  Sir James Graham is about 58 now.  There is a local hotel called the Graham Arms which the family once owned - proper hunting shooting and fishing brigade.If this helps and I can be of any further assistance let me know. 

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessy, please do you know if the first name Gabriel or variations is a name in this Graham line, think this might be the name of my Margaret's father and she was baptised 1692 in Arthuret.

Thanks

Anna

Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,  Cant answer that one straight away but I shall make some enquiries for you.  The Grahams did have their own church built at Netherby called Kirk Andrews on Esk (St Andrews) and I know the wife had a beautiful arch and alter brought over from Italy for the church.  Does that mean anything to you.  I shall speak to some neighbours whose family have lived here for a couple of generations and see if they can help.  Jess

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sharing is the fastest way to progress genealogy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessy,

Thank you for your reply.  The Graham's that lived in Netherby Hall were a line known as the Esk Graham's ie their family lived at various locations mainly along the Esk River. 

There is strong support for the idea that there were two distinct lines of Graham's in the area.  The Netherby or Esk Grahams and another line (mine) that lived along the Lyne River.

A connection between my family and Sir James Graham of Netherby is "Randalinton Farm" on the banks of the Lyne near Sandysikes and now owned by a Mr Armstrong.  This farm was once owned by Sir James Graham and my family were (I believe) tenant farmers there.

I am currently having research done at Carlisle Castle to see if there is any actual family connection between my ancestors and those of the Netherby Graham's, the then owners of Randalinton.

If you are able to ask Sir James Graham if he has any knowledge of the ownership of Randalinton, perhaps old titles etc. My family lived at "Little Randalinton", I would like to know if "Little Randalinton" is the cottage on the left at the start of the drive up to the main farm house, or is it further down the road towards Sandysike? Also if he knows of any connection of my family with his.  Any further historical information about either his family or mine would be appreciated.

I shall be in your area in August this year and would love to visit you and view Netherby Hall if that is possible.

So many questions that I need answers to.

Best regards, Bruce
Graham's of Cumberland & New Zealand
Glass's of Aberdeenshire & New Zealand

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jess, Thanks very much for that, your time and trouble is greatly appreciated. Think I might have seen the name Netherby on the Longtown site but part from that nothing.

Thanks again

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Bruce and Anna,  Have a look at Grahams of Longtown and Netherby on the web.  You may have seen it already Bruce but it is very interesting.  They have lived in Netherby for 400 years.  Sorry Bruce I dont live in Netherby Hall it is 1 mile away and owned by a Mr Robb.  I also live in a gamekeepers cottage which belonged to Netherby.  I have some old documents which I will look at for you to see if it mentions the property in Sandysike.  You will have to bare with me I will have to hunt them down.
Jess

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessy,

Sorry! I misunderstood your earlier message and thought you actually lived at Netherby Hall.  I would appreciate anything you can find out about "Randalinton Farm".

I have been in your area 2004 & 2005 and as I said earlier will be up there again in August.  I visited the Armstrongs at Randalinton in 2005 but they couldn't help me with any history of the farm, but it is very old.

Perhaps you can do me one small favour, I visited the Storey's at "Newbiggin Farm" in 2005 and they gave me their e-mail address which, unfortunately, I must have written down incorrectly as it doesn't work.  Could you contact them and get it for me please as I would love to get in touch with them.  My Graham and Sewell ancestors lived at "Newbiggin Farm".  My ancestors also lived on another farm, "Moathill" which no longer exists but is on the road up to "Gilestown".  Anything you come across regarding Graham history would be appreciated, it has been a labour of love for me for almost 40 years.

It is great to be talking to someone who lives in the area.

Best regards from a beautiful sunny morning here in New Zealand, expected temp today is 27deg C.   :)

Bruce

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Have just found this entry on FamilySearch which looks as though it may be yours.

>     JOHANES FARGUSON           Male                         
Event(s):
>     Birth:
>     Christening:      14 MAR 1720       Arthuret, Cumberland, England
>     Death:
>     Burial:
>             Parents:
>       Father:      GULIELMI FARGUSON     Family
>       Mother:      MARGARETAE

Batch Number        C042991

GULIEMI is an old spelling for WILLIAM

Best regards, Bruce

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Apologies to all in this fascinating thread. I have been offline for a couple of days.
        Papamoa, thanks for the additional Graham Baptisms you gave me. I see from my notes I do have Edward, at  Sunnyside, in 1813, but I must have missed the other two. It was boiling hot when I visited Carlisle last summer and my brains had been fried by a night in a stifling hotel room.       
  You say your ancestors lived at Newbiggin farm... Interestingly, my John Graham is always referred to as ''of Newbiggen'' (sic) in the parish records of Kirklinton. However I am not aware of the timeframe of your Newbiggin Grahams
          How I wish I lived in the area too, so I could poke around some more! Hopefully I will make it there again in the summer too! Great folk at Carlisle Records Office...
                         Regards
                                       Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk