Author Topic: Noddles in Calbeck  (Read 12867 times)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Noddles in Calbeck
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 June 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
A few years ago I was delivering a course on family history and one of the ladies had an ancestor called Noddle.  I am sure she said that the family was originally German and came over to England in the 19th Century to work in the mines/quarries.  Her particular ancestor, she thought, worked for the Threlkeld Granite Company, later called Keswick Granite Co. She believed that they went back to Germany around the time of the First World War. They had lived in the Threlkeld area. These Germans are not to be confused with the ones that came over here 300 years earlier at the behest of Elizabeth I.

I apologise in advance if any of the info is erroneous but it was quite a long time ago and I do not have the written records now.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 June 12 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Clearly

Thank you for your e-mail which is of very good reading.  It seems that the Noddles in my family came from Germany too and  they worked in the brewery in Calbeck.  Where the brewery was in Calbeck I have no idea but would be good to find out where or even a photograph would be good? I have also been told by relatives that they had a beer for the dinners which caused many health issues.

It is a shame that you no longer have written records, they would been good reading!

Thank you once again

Bests wishes
Oletta

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 June 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
I think this was the brewery http://tinyurl.com/buvgefp

See the 1863 1:2500 map here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=332300,539770

:)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 June 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff-E

Thank you for your quick response. The brewery looks a lovely old building, I would have thought it would have been pretty cold to work in those days.
Thanks again
Oletta

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 June 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that there was also Noddles working in the old bobbin mill in Calbeck.

Regards
Oletta

Offline topkat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 June 12 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Oletta ,

Having difficulty in replying to your message .

Topkat

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 June 12 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Oletta ,

Having difficulty in replying to your message .

Topkat

You should be OK now (after making a second post) ... if you can see little green scrolls on the left, you can send a PM.  If not, make a third post and you will certainly be able to. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Caroline McLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 April 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Oletta

Did you get anywhere with your searches?  My grandmother was Nelly Noddle, daughter of Margaret Jane Noddle.  Nelly was told that her mother died of TB which was why she was put into care.  There are two Margaret Jane Noddle - both born to two brothers and i don't think this helps.  I was told MJ ran off with Thomas Twentyman and they had more children - but i have never been able to find out if this was actually my great grandmother or her cousin.

Would be wonderful to get to the bottom of this

I'd never managed to find out where the Noddle family came from so interesting to see possibly from Germany.

I've been looking into my family tree for about 15 years - on and mostly off.  I used to go to the records center in Angel - but the last many years have been online.

Caroline

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 June 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
As the Noddles seem to be of German origin, does anyone know if any members of the family were interned at the start of the First World War?
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,