Author Topic: John Steel of Arthuret 1697 Link  (Read 2050 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Steel of Arthuret 1697 Link
« on: Tuesday 06 May 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

My ancestor John Steel of Trough died in Stapleton in 1761.

I cannot find a baptism for him in the Stapleton parish registers since they only go back to 1725, nor can I find clues to his parentage via siblings born in the late 1720s.

However, there is a baptism for a John Steel in 1697 in Arthuret to James Steel and Janet Turner, the parish right next to Stapleton.

I would like to know if there is any way to confirm or deny a link between the John that was born in Arthuret and the one that died in Stapleton.

I believe that there are the one and same person because his son John Steel, whom died in 1816 was buried in Stapleton, but so was the son of James and Janet, George Steel, whom was born in Kirkandrews and was the younger sibling of John Steel, born in 1697, but I don't want to put anything down until I can be mostly certain.

I would be very grateful if someone could assist, there must be some records out there that can establish a link or confirm the non existence of one.

my thanks

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Steel of Arthuret 1697 Link
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 09:20 BST (UK) »
You need to view the BTs at Carlisle Records Office (1665-1889), firstly for Stapleton and possibly one or two nearby parishes.

If you are too far away then consider ordering the film from the Latter Day Saints History Centre - there should be one near you wherever you live in the world.  There is a small fee and you are allowed 3 months to view the film.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/314734?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Go down the page and click on "online ordering system".  To find your nearest Family History Centre click on "Family History Center".
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
I have checked the BTs for Stapleton and there is no mentioning of a John Steel. I will check Arthuret and Nichol Forest

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Again you can order the parish registers and BTs on microfilm on family search, however Nichol Forest registers do not start until 1761 for christenings, a little later for marriages,  and 1756 BTs
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson