Author Topic: Redwing Congregational Chapel Alston  (Read 7105 times)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
Redwing Congregational Chapel Alston
« on: Saturday 14 June 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me if families went back to the Church of England from this chapel.  Sarah Lowes (and her sister Mary) were baptized in the parish church in Kirkhaugh, Northumberland (30 Jun 1810 and 2 Feb 1808) parents John Lowes and Sarah Watson.  Mary is 2nd daughter and Sarah 3rd daughter.  Using FamilySearch I found a marriage 2 Jun 1792 and a brother John, same parents, baptized 4 Mar 1803 both St John Garrigill.  I also found the following at Redwing Congregational Chapel Alston with parents John and Sarah Lowes:  William born 22 Feb 1793, baptized 3 Mar 1793; John born 18 Feb 1795, baptized 24 Mar 1795; and Betty born 21 May 1799, baptized 18 Jun 1799.  Going through the Bishops' Transcripts, I found a burial from Parish Register of Garrigill for John son of John & Sarah Lowes Tynehead 14 Jun 1797.
I was unable to find John 1803 in the BT to see which son he was.  Does anyone know if this could all be the same family or suggestions of where to check next?
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Redwing Congregational Chapel Alston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 June 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
No reason why it cant be the same family.
People could move around from Church to chapel as they wished, same as they can nowadays.

All marriages were in  C of E churches then. But it looks as if they thgen worshipped at the congregational chapel in Alston  for some years. Then they moved to the parish Church at Kirkhaugh.
There could be all sorts of reasons - maybe they moved home and it was just more convenient. Maybe the chapel closed down. Maybe there was a change on Minister at the chapel and thgey didnt get on with the new one. Must be thousands of possible reasons we could guess at!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 June 14 04:31 BST (UK) »
I question the back and forth in Alston/Garrigill.  I realize the marriages were C of E.  It's the timeline, William and John are baptized at Redwing Alston, John dies and is buried C of E Garrigill, Betty is baptized Redwing then next John is baptized at C of E Garrigill.  I don't know where they were living except for burial when at Tynehead.  Maybe they were moving around.  Does anyone know if there was a burial ground at Redwing Congregational?  If not, that may explain Garrigill burial.
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 June 14 07:32 BST (UK) »
You may already have this;
Sarah WATSON Baptised 15 March 1770, Alston Church, Alston, Cumberland, Father WILLIAM
Abode Love Lady Shield
Siblings;
JANE, 2 Dec 1771
BETTY, 22 Jan 1774
Both with same abode
+ a possible;
STEPHEN, 4 Aug 1776, same Church, Parents WILLIAM/ELIZABETH, abode Bayles
CHRISTOPHER, 5 May 1782, same Church and Parents, abode Aimsaugh

A William WATSON Married Elizabeth WALTON, 6 May 1769, St John the Evangelist, Garriagill

The Burial of JOHN Lowes, Son of John/Sarah, 14 June 1797, St John the Evangelist, Garrigill has there abode as Tynehead

Source of all Records FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 June 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
Thank you for your reply.  I had Sarah's baptism and two possible marriages for William.  Your reply reminded me I had not looked at all the baptisms.  When I did I was able to eliminate the other marriage to Margaret so the Elizabeth one you sent should be right.  There is one more William and Elizabeth baptism, Hannah also Aimsaugh on 31 May 1779.
It's too bad the Redwing records aren't on FreeREG so I could check the abode for the Lowes baptisms.  It really helps.
Anyway, thanks.
Sue

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 June 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

The births of William, John and Betty are all to be found in the non conformist registers where you can see the actual images. The abode is indeed Tynehead.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 June 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
Just to add that you might find Genuki worth looking at as it provides links to marriage indexes for Alston, Garrigill and Kirkhaugh.

It is worth noting that Alston and Kirkhaugh are only about two or three miles apart.  I have come across something similar in my own research recently and in the same time period with baptisms in Kirkhaugh but marriages taking place in Alston.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 June 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi William,
That is exactly what I wanted to know.  Where can you see the non conformist images other than the National Archives Kew?
Sue

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 June 14 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I found them on ancestry, and saw the actual images, and they are also on the genealogist as well as on a stand alone site called, I think bmd registers.

William