Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Confusion over death dates, Hetherington family of Brampton  (Read 5873 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

Sorry for the continual posts, I am currently in a big stage of research

William Hetherington, father of Alice, born 1854 was born in 1825 and married Alice Graham, whom died in 1892. In the 1901 census, he is inside a workhouse at Brampton a widower. However looking at the death records, the only death record that would fit his birth year past 1901 is William dying in 1904 aged 85. The birth year would be 1819, too early for his relatively consistent birth date on the census.

However there is a William Hetherington dying in Brampton in 1896, his age at death would fit his birth year and the location is correct, however that would make no sense since he is on the 1901 census.

Also, his son Levi Wetherington has been recorded on a gravestone as dying in 1857 aged 5. However on all census, this Levi is nowhere to be found, but there is a Levi Hetherington living with the family on the census, born in 1859 and living until 1945.

I am very confused, if anyone could help unravel this conundrum, I would be most grateful

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion over death dates, Hetherington family of Brampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 July 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

It is possible Levi b. 1859 was the second son named Levi of William and Alice
Very often when a child died young a child born after the death would be given the same name

I cannot find a baptism of Levi b 1852 - the only baptism I found  of a Levi is 26 Sept 1866 - so maybe that is a late bapt of the 2nd Levi.

Birth reg's for levi Hetherington are Dec qtr 1851 and Dec qtr 1859

Purchase of the 1851 birth would give parents names and so confirm/deny he was the son of William & Alice

Maybe someone has access to the parish registers to see if his baptism can be found

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 July 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Looks like William Hetherington, the blacksmith is in the workhouse on the 1901 census. Your William was a draper according to 1871/ 1881/1891 - that would make the death in 1896 correct.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 July 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sandra

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 July 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
There is a burial for Levi Hetherington at Brampton 30 April 1857

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J88B-MXS

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2NF2-9WR

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 July 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
Also from the Brampton MIs:
 In loving memory of Thomas ARMSTRONG of Brampton who died Dec 15th 1858 aged 65 years. Interred at Lanercost Abbey. Also Frances widow of the above who died Nov 26th 1889 aged 88 years. Also William HETHERINGTON of Brampton born October 31st 1824 died March 4th 1896. Also of Ann widow of the above William HETHERINGTON born Sept 28th 1825 died Jan 27th 1901.

March 6th 1896 Carlisle Journal
The death occurred somewhat suddenly on Wednesday night of Mr William Hetherington, a well-known Brampton draper. Deceased, who was 72 years of age, had an attack of influenza about five weeks ago, but the immediate cause of death was heart disease. He was a native of Brampton, a prominent member of the Wesleyan body and a staunch liberal.

So the William Hetherington who died in 1896 was a draper married to Ann, not Alice, though I'd have to check my photos of the gravestone to be sure. Possibly he married again after Alice died?

If Levi Hetherington (the first child of that name) died in 1857 aged 5 he would probably not born at the time of the 1851 census. He might also not have been baptised in the church of England, there were several non conformist churches in Brampton.

cheers
robbiesmum

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 July 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
It is possible because Alice Graham, his wife died in 1892, 4 years before William. Problem is that William was old and had no reason to remarry

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 July 14 11:38 BST (UK) »
As William was a Weslyan it is quite possible he remarried after Alice died - I have a few in my tree who remarried after parner died in their latter years. It of course would be for companionship but also a strong belief in marriage.
There is also the possibility the name Ann is a misprint - I have a great Uncle Edward who was named as Albert in a lengthy newspaper report.

Suz

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 July 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
The Hetherington family has been researched and listed on this website:
http://www.johnolsen.org.uk/tree/info/n23.htm

I've put the photos of the gravestone of William Hetherington on my online album (in the Brampton folder, next to the one of Levi Hetherington)
http://longtown19.magix.net/album

It looks possible to me that this is your William Hetherington and a second wife Ann: assuming that Ann is the daughter of Thomas and Frances Armstrong of Brampton, named on the same gravestone, she is an unmarried dressmaker in the census up to 1881 living with her mother, and I think still unmarried in the 1891 census of Brampton. Also interesting is that in 1881, there is a Frances Nelson, granddaughter, living with them. According to the above website, Thomas James Hetherington, son of William and Alice Hetherington, was married to a Mary Eleanor Nelson, possibly a sister to the above Frances Nelson? It makes for a very complicated family, but it's certainly possible that William Hetherington, a widower, married again - it would explain why William Hetherington is not buried with his children, but with his new wife and her family, and why poor Alice Hetherington didn't get a mention at all.
hope this makes some sense!
robbiesmum