Author Topic: Sad nanny :(  (Read 16856 times)

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sad nanny :(
« on: Wednesday 25 June 14 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all this is my last shot at finally giving my nanny her wish of knowing who her family are . She was born August 1932 in Ireland in a convent in Dublin she has been told her mother died 4 days after having her and she went to live with her aunty .
She seems to think she was handed over at a hospital to her aunty ( I think this was said it her to make said a little happy )
My Nan's name was Mary Margaret Clare . Later changed to Margaret Mary Clare .
The name of her dad ( who she thinks is her dad not that she has ever had this confirmed ) is john white .
At the minute this is the basic info I have until I get all the paperwork we have written down off my mum . I just wanted to put it on n hopefully be pointed in the right direction .
As her words on Sunday was I will die not knowing who I am this is what has kicked me in to doing this
Thank you for reading :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Sad nanny :(
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
oh how sad,

be careful about posting details of living people - but pm with info and I will search to see if there is any info I can find.

ps   you have to post a couple of times before you can use the pm service.  so just reply quick and then again. or something.  to enable pm's
xin

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much , as soon as I pick the papers up tomorrow I will msg you , she knows so many names but we can't find nothing out . my mum and aunty go to Ireland every year in hope they find something more out , she wants to find the truth about her mum , me personally think her mother survived and it was easier to tell my nanny she didn't as then no questions were asked I hope I can get to the bottom of it for her :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
It- is not going to be an easy search, as I am sure you are aware.. But Roots is the best place to attempt it.. As long as I say, you keep living peoples names off the posts. 

I wish her all the very best, bless her.  She is lucky she has someone who cares enough to want to help her.  I just hope you or we can find something to help her -  its not always a happy find though...

I have a friend who was desperate to find her birth parents... Even though she had the most wonderful adoptive parents.  Only to find when she did find her Mother... it was not a good find.

So its not always a happy ending.

slowly and gently - as it means so much to your nan

xin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:38 BST (UK) »
Does your nan have her birth certificate as that will give her mother's and possibly her father's name? Also if she has been told her mother died soon after giving birth to her, it should be relatively easy to find her death as you have a rough date. This at least would prove or disprove what she was told.

There is also the chance that there was no relationship between her mother and the lady she was handed to, maybe she was just told that.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
She had her birth certificate says her mothers name and father is left blank so do I go and search the convent records for the deaths ? Yes I think it's odd as she said the woman she lived with was her aunty but was called the same name as her mother . My nanny was told her mother was 15/16 yrs old when she gave birth . Which personally it think a catholic family would think this as a shame and sent her e convent and the baby was taken . Or am I thinking wrong there

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi just spoke to my mum and she said my nanny didn't have a birth certificAte she had to registar her self to get her passport so we don't actually no if that's her right date of birth :/

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 June 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

". . . . . her aunty but was called the same name as her mother"

How does she/you know that her name was the same as her mother?
If the aunt has now passed on what were her details?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 June 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Well my nanny seems to think she was named after her mother as this is what she has now been told  . And her aunty later changed my nannys name to Margaret Mary .