Author Topic: Henry Mullin  (Read 1609 times)

Offline pammullin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Mullin
« on: Friday 27 December 13 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for an descendents of Henry Mullin who was a farmer married to Ann Diamond. They had 3 childrem who immigrated to America in 1843. The ones who immigrated were Cornelius, James and Grace Mullin. According to the info I have Henry and Ann had a total of 5 children and I am looking for any living relatives of the ones who stayed in Ireland. I have heard that my dad met some descendents when he was in Ireland during WWII. He trained with the 34th Infantry near Caledon. Unfortunately my dad is no longer living and I do not know the names of the relatives he found. I know this isn't much to go on but if anyone can point me in the right direction to get the info I am looking ofr I would appreciate it.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Mullin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 13 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Unfortunately 1843 is before the start of Civil Registration so you will have to depend on church records where these exist. To find those you would have to know, fairly accurately, the area where they lived.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 13 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome, Pam  :)

You've posted on Derry/Londonderry board so do you think this is where your family came from? It's not near Caledon where your father was stationed in WWII but be could have traveled a distance to go see the relatives. Since the three Mullin children left Ireland about 100 years before that it sounds as thought family contact continued in some form for many years so there might be clues amongst your family in U.S. about a location/people in Ireland.
Where did the 3 children go to in America? each U.S. state keeps its own vital records (births, marriages, deaths) and usually those certficates ask for details such as parents' names, date and place of birth, etc.
Newspaper obituaries often give a place of origin for those born in Ireland.
Any old letters or an old address book of your father's that might give a 'recent' name and address for the people he met here?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Mullin and Diamond are names strongly associated with Kilrea parish for centuries and that is likely to be a good place to start - although people moved around a lot more than you may suspect so don't assume too much.

CoI and presbyterian records are fairly complete from the 1820s but RC records only survive from 1846 so your family will probably predate church records, although possibly gravestone records may help.