Author Topic: William John Todd - b. 25 Dec 1745 (Moffat)  (Read 26393 times)

Offline SuzanneTF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William John Todd - b. 25 Dec 1745 (Moffat)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
I don't really have any pictures. :( (Check my Find A Grave to see what I do have).

Don't take my work super far back as absolute gospel (regarding the wives). That's mainly what was published and what my grandma had which I know is naughty but the source records seem like the best we will have.

So, you're a descendent of Mary Rheutillie Todd. Do you know of anyone descended from her daughter's daughter's daughter, etc.? I ask because basically all the older people in the family say that Joseph's wife Irene Royals Todd was part Indian. We're stuck on her mother, Sarah Dennis. We know that Mary Dennis lived with Biggers and Sarah and then Joseph and Irene for awhile. Anyway, it would be neat to have someone who could test their maternal (mitochondrial) DNA to see if that hunch is right.

Offline holleymc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
No, unfortunately not.  When it came to my GGrandmother (Luttie) I was basically stumpped until I ran across Shell on Ancestry.  Her grandmother was Luttie's sister and that opened a whole new line for me to research. I had no idea she was a Todd too!  She may be able to help some.  She had LOTS of pictures and had alot of time put into it. 

Offline SuzanneTF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 June 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
Is this person you or Shell? http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=47467375

If not, someone new to chat with! :)

Offline holleymc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 June 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
That is Shell.  I was just going to send you a message. Her grandmother is Ora Granger and I noticed the name granger listed on your find a grave site.  I don't have anything there, I just discovered it!  She helped me tons with the Stevens line!

Offline SuzanneTF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
Yeah - it's not a bad site. I've read some complaints about it but I've not had a bad experience yet.

I've found it to be really good for meeting others! A lot of the memorials of my ancestors I've found (not the ones I added) are just put in by people that work through entire cemeteries. But I have met a few distant cousins. :)

Offline telfordBM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 September 11 12:41 BST (UK) »
I have some info on this family liaising with a researcher in Moffat
and if still interested can you please let me know?
Thanks
Betty

Offline SuzanneTF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
I have some info on this family liaising with a researcher in Moffat
and if still interested can you please let me know?
Thanks
Betty

I'm interested! - Email me at AOL (username: SuzanneTF). :)

Offline holleymc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 September 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
I too would love the info.. gonna send a PM with my email...thanks! :D

Offline telfordBM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 September 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Have received several more enquiries about this family so am putting reply here for anyone  interested to see.
My own link is with ClanMoffat UK and I maintain their web site <<ClanMoffat.info>> with my son Alan who lives in Aberdeenshire.
Clan Members have made great strides in past few years with research in and around Moffat D&G since a number of us have been working in detail and most particularly, Clan Moffat Genealogist Colin and Mr.& Mrs.Elliott - who are currently restoring Archbald Moffatt's weaver's house in Academy Road. The book on the Justices of the Peace by Johan Findlay describes the trial of Thomas Tod and she has met with the Elliotts and Colin recently. With difficulty, after finding a sealed envelope in the archived trial papers at Edinburgh, permission was granted for it to be opened and the final verdict cleared Thomas Tod!  Precis of details sent to me by Niamh Elliott might help some of you but if there is anything specific please get back to me and I can make further enquiries or posibly find a source, you also might care to see website <<ClanMoffat.info>> for general information and of course, look at Johan's book.
Thanks for contacting me.  Betty Telford (Hereford)

<<The Thomas Todd tried by Henry Homes Lord Kames and Lord Auckinleck (18th-20th May 1765) was we believe the uncle of William Todd, Thomas did indeed marry Isobel Johnston who was the daughter of Archbald Johnston, Moffat Merchant. Thomas and Isobel had 7 children in Moffat between 1751 and 1763. Thomas Todd' crime was robbing and beating his father in law in his own house (hamesucken) and which took place on 19th Jan 1765 (young John Moffatt witnessed and gave evidence about this with his father Archbald as John was a minor aged 12). This is recorded in the Dumfries Court Sederunt book transcribed on pages 68 and 69 of Johan Findlay OBE JP book.>>