Author Topic: David Grierson  (Read 21709 times)

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • William James Hiddleston Wilson
    • View Profile
Re: David Grierson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks gnu,  I didn't have any other info on his birth at all, other than it was in Manchester!  That's a great help  8)
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
Just thinking on this ~ as it was a Presbyterian Chapel, it suggests that one or other or both of the parents were possibly Scottish.

I checked for a marriage for David and Mary but only in England. It might be worth doing a trawl for bapt/marriages for the two in Scotland - maybe Dumfriesshire as Grierson is a Dum/Gal name  :)

I'll have a look later if you've not found anything  :)

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:50 BST (UK) »
Lol!  I'm slightly ahead of you with that .. but only because I found an elderly, widowed Mary Grierson in a Manchester census, which said that she was born in Scotland.  Did a wee hunt and found a Mary Edgar, born in Cockpool, Ruthwell with parents named Thomas Edgar & Helen Dickson, whose age ties in pretty closely with the elderly Mary.  Coincidentally (or not) both Thomas and Helen are two of the names David Grierson has given his children ...
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
And here are two MIs from Ruthwell Kirkyard
In Memory of
Thomas EDGAR, late tenant in Aiket, and Elder in this Parish, who died 12th February 1790 age 45 years
Also Helen DICKSON, his spouse, who died 22nd May 1783 age 35 years
Also William EDGAR, their son, who succeeded his father as tenant in Aiket, and died 25th November 1801 age 33 years
Also Margaret RITCHIE, his spouse, who died 30th December 1830 age 67 years
Also Mary EDGAR, daughter of above Thomas EDGAR, who died at Thwaitehead 16th January 1836 age 60 years

In Memory of
Robert DIXON, who died at Clarencefield August 1824 age 50 years
Also Mary EDGAR, his spouse, who died September 1829 age 57 years

Also John DIXON, their grandson, who died in Manchester September 1825 age 2 years
Also Janet DIXON, their granddaughter, who died on [--] April 1816 age 6 years
Children to their son William DIXON.

I hope that all fits with your other research data.
Cheers.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Gravestones with Dickson (Dixon) and Edgar on them do occur elsewhere in Dumfries & Galloway:

Here is one in Sanquhar Kirkyard
James EDGAR and Janet Braidwood
Thomas EDGAR their infant, son died A.D. 1839
Janet DICKSON his mother, died 2nd April 1847 aged 83 years
Also of the said James EDGAR, late saddler, Sanquhar, who died at Launceston, Van Diemens Land, on the 3rd February 1854 aged 55 years
Also Janet BRAIDWOOD, or EDGAR, who died at Newmains on 17th February 1865 aged 62 years,
and was interred in Hereathers burying ground at Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire

and another in Whithorn St Ninians Kirkyard
Erected by Elizabeth DICKSON
In Memory of
Archibald McWILLIAM, her husband, who died 12th Novr 1832 aged 77 years
The said Elizabeth DICKSON, died 27th August 1839 aged 80 years
In Memory of
James EDGAR, who died 28th March 1845 aged 61 years
Also Agnes HAINING, his spouse, who died 28th January 1872 aged 79 years
Also infant son of Jessie WALLACE, who died May 1856 aged 4 months
Also Isabella WALLACE, her daughter, who died 29th January 1879 aged 26 years
Also the said Jessie WALLACE, who died 7th April 1897 aged 78 years

Over to you.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Returning to David Grierson, Crossgills, Ruthwell.
Herei his MI in Ruthwell Kirkyard
David GRIERSON, joiner, who died at Crossgills 1st November 1860 age 57 years
Also Janet ROME, his wife, who died at Bowerhouses Cottages 2nd March 1871 age 67 years
Also James, their son, who died at Crossgills 23rd March 1852 age 12 years
Also John CARRUTHERS, their son in law, who died at Bowerhouses Cottage 29th December 1891 age 69 years
Also Helen GRIERSON, wife of John CARRUTHERS, who died at Bowerhouses 21st September 1906 age 79 years

Make what you can of that lot!
Cheers,
Sy

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 September 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to find all that info.  Lots for me to get my teeth into now and I didn't have young James Grierson in my list of David's children, so now they are 10  :o

Thanks again,

June

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 September 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
I've found a little more info on David Grierson's father.  He died, aged 32yrs, on December 13th 1802 (2 months before his son's birth), of Smallpox, in 'Hart Court, Bloom Street, Manchester'.  His grave was purchased by James Grierson, Cousin to the deceased.

This ties in with David Jnr's birth record, which gives his home address as No.59 Hart Street, Manchester.  Google maps shows Bloom Street as a larger road, Hart Street is attached to it and consists of only a square courtyard of houses with a narrow alleyway running into another road - thus its alternative name of 'Hart Court' may have arisen?

Also, I would swear that David Jnr's birth record actually says he was born on 28TH February 1803, not the 20th.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 September 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Certainly says 20th February on the New Family Search site.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eue/

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***