Author Topic: WILLIAM WALLACE RAYNER  (Read 4895 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM WALLACE RAYNER
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
Manchester Ward 8, Hillsborough, New Hampshire 1910

Robert E Mckean  56
George R Mckean  24
Clarence D Mckean  24
Robert L Mckean  12
William Raynor  38 Born England. Immigrated 1908. AL. Single. Lodger. Operator at Woolen Mill.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sandra, was hoping there may had been a Caroline with him. The search continues.

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, further information has come to light and requires following up. When William died in 1947 his death certificate detailed an address in the uk. Following inspection of the electoral registers for this address both pre and post war it shows he was living with HANNAH MATILDA RAYNER and Thomas Henry Rayner. I am suspecting William left wife number one-Caroline, went to Canada/USA and possibly re-married a Hannah Matilda !!!!!!! and also had a son. There is no evidence in the uk gro of a marriage and or the birth of a son. Looking at uk deaths there is a Hannah M Rayner dying in 1950 in Lewes the same place as William in 1947-her birth date c1868. As for deaths of Thomas Henry Rayners in the uk a strong contender is a death in 1990 with a dob of 27.12.1912. There are no uk births late 1912/early 1913 for a Thomas Henry. So, is there any way of trying to establish a marriage-William/Hannah and or a birth of a Thomas Henry. As you know any help is always welcome.

Regards
John

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
There is a Hannah Matilda and Thomas Henry together - 1901 Census East Ham St Mary Magdalene.  ???

Thomas Henry Rayner  41 Born Northfleet, Ken.
Hannah Matilda Rayner  32 Born South Norwood, Surrey.
Claud Thomas Rayner  9 Born Battersea, Surrey.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, guess I'm tired and trying to hard. The 1901 census does indeed show details as you quoted. This is Williams older brother and his wife and son. Looks as though he lived with them after returning from abroad. What through me is in 1946 the electoral register shows only William and Hannah, I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Thanks again

John

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
That's ok - no prob. Noticed a possibility for the son Claude Thomas died in 1949 Basford Nottinghamshire.  he appears on a UK return passenger list 10 September 1936 - Auistralis to Hull. Also travelling a wife Lily (45) and a daughter Josephine (14)

Sandra

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Sandra, sods law. Brother Thomas died in 1937 in Lewes that's where I jumped before I researched. Again thanks, have a good day

John

Offline jonray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: WALLACE MAXWELL RAYNER
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
I have only just found this site so apologies for this late contribution.
My father was Wallace Maxwell Rayner and his parents were indeed William and Caroline.
My grandparents emigrated to Canada in either 1902 or 1905. At that time I believe their only son was Bill. Their port of arrival was Halifax, Nova Scotia. They set up home in Toronto and I know for sure they never lived in the U.S.
Granddad was a bricklayer and he taught all his sons the trade.
As previously detailed on this site Wallace was born March 1913 in York County which is now part of the Greater Toronto Area.
Bill was born in England but never went back. He had two daughters who still live in the Toronto area.
My grand parents returned to England in the 1920s. I do not have an exact date. Granddad liked his drink and was worried that prohibition would come to Canada, hence the return to the UK. Gram, as she was known to us kids, fought the move back but really did not have much say. She hated England  for the rest of her life.
There never was a divorce. The names  Hannah and Tommy as detailed in an earlier post are a mystery to me and I believe purely coincidental. Granddad died in the 1940s so I never met him but gram lived well into her nineties. She always requested that she be buried in Canada but sadly this did not happen.
There were 11 children in all and I have to report they have all passed. Bill, Ralph, my dad, Arthur, Cliff and I believe either a Sid or Ron or perhaps both. The girls were Grace, Dorothy, Irene and Olive. I recently found out my dad was a twin but his sibling died at birth.   
My dad married May Victoria Burrows in August 1934. My sister Pauline was born January 1936. I am John Wallace and was born in July 1947.
Dad died June 1985, mum died November 2007.
I moved to Canada in 1966 where I still live.
I hope this helps you with whatever research you are doing but if you have any further question I will do my best to answer.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 October 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi John, firstly a welcome to rootschat. If ever you need more eyes and help to try and solve a family history issue the folk on here are worth their weight in tiddley winks.
It's purely coincidental  that your family line are both a William and Caroline. With regard to your grandfathers death there is a tree on Ancestry that strongly suggests he died in 1944 @ 16,Tennyson Way, Romford , Essex. He was born according to this tree in January 1879. Thanks for getting in touch. I have 2 sons who live in downtown Toronto, they both met Canadian ladies and off they went.

Regards

John