Author Topic: Jennie Lavinia Vanhorn, Born Kansas City, Kansas abt 1872, Died Louisiana 1939  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
Jennie Lavinia Vanhorn, Born Kansas City, Kansas abt 1872, Died Louisiana 1939
« on: Wednesday 17 September 14 00:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about Jennie Lavinia Vanhorn and her parents/siblings/family, prior to 1900.

The birthdate on her gravestone is 26 Jun 1872.

The document I believe to be a certificate of her marriage to William J Gourley (W J Gowley on the certificate) indicates that "Vena" was married previously. The date married 2 Sep 1891, in Traskwood, Arkansas. They had 7 children: William F Gourley, Norman Gourley, Pearl Gourley, Robert Gourley, Lela Gourley (my direct ancestor), Fannie I Gourley, Ada M Gourley.

1900 Census-Name: J L Gourley, age 23, born June 1876, married 9 years (abt 1891), residence Pine Bluff, Jefferson, Arkansas, four children (8, 7, 4, 2), birthplace Kansas, parents both born Kansas. Of note that her husband does not appear on this census, and also that she has two boarders in addition to the four children.

1910 Census-Name: Jennie L Gourley, age 36, married 21 years (abt 1889), residence La Salle, Louisiana, 7 kids-6 living (19, 14, 12, 7, 4, 7/12), birthplace Iowa, parents both born United States. *Husband gives occupation as foreman at a yard.

1920 Census-Name Jenney Gourley, age 45, birthplace Missouri, parents both born United States. *Husband gives occupations as foreman of yard-lumber mill.

1930 Census-Name Jennie L, age 55, age at first marriage 17, born Missouri, father born United States, mother born Kansas.

Jennie died 27 Mar 1939 in Monroe, Ouachita, Louisiana.

If you have any information that can help me I will really appreciate it. I am also interested in connecting with any of their other descendants/family.

Thank you,
Sarah
San Diego, California
Lots but here are a few: Bouscaren, Emerson, Peterson, Gourley, Finley/Fenley, Van horn, Ford, Boyd, Mussaw/Mousseau, Monette, Freiberger, Crandall, Barry, Nellis, Ritzenthaler, Lechleiter...

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Jennie Lavinia Vanhorn, Born Kansas City, Kansas abt 1872, Died Louisiana 1939
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 05:46 BST (UK) »
Jennie Lavinia Vanhorn...

The document I believe to be a certificate of her marriage to William J Gourley (W J Gowley on the certificate) indicates that "Vena" was married previously. The date married 2 Sep 1891, in Traskwood, Arkansas. They had 7 children: William F Gourley, Norman Gourley, Pearl Gourley, Robert Gourley, Lela Gourley (my direct ancestor), Fannie I Gourley, Ada M Gourley.

Could this be any connection (sister-in-law?)?
Arkansas County Marriage Index
Mary Vanhorn, age 26, born c1856
Residence:  Traskwood, Saline, Arkansas
Spouse:  W H Humble, age 23
Residence:  Traskwood, Saline, Arkansas
Married 26 March 1882
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jennie Lavinia Vanhorn, Born Kansas City, Kansas abt 1872, Died Louisiana 1939
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 06:05 BST (UK) »
It appears that Mrs. Mary Humble married an L. Brown in 1898.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
1900 Traskwood, Saline County, Arkansas
Levi Brown, born April 1855...
Mary Brown, born July 1854, mother of 11 children, 5 still alive, born Wisconsin, parents born Vermont
There is additional information on the image about three of her children, Earnest, Roy and Herbert Humble.

Could this be Mary Vanhorn Brown and Jennie Lavinia?
1880 Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas
Mary Vanhorn, age 28, Dressmaker, born Wisconsin, parents born Vt
Children Charley, age 11, born ?; Willie, age 9, born Kansas; Luvenia, age 6, born Kansas; Mary, age 2, born Arkansas
Children's father was born in Ohio

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 06:46 BST (UK) »
1870 Elm Creek, Saline Co., Kansas
Frank VanHorn, age 33, Teamster, born Ohio
Mary, 19?, Keeping House, born Wisconsin
Charles J., 1, born Colorado T
Note:  the 1880 census could be "Col" for Charley's birthplace

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
According to online information, Frank VanHorn was supposedly Franklin Benjamin Van Horn who apparently was a driver for the "Overland Stage" in 1861 (to California).  His first wife apparently was Emma Gift who died in childbirth.

If you try an internet search for "van horn and "overland stage" you will find a sentence about Mr. Van Horn that was included in a book about the Overland Stage to California.  Whether or not this family is "yours" is still to be determined, though.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 07:45 BST (UK) »
Someone has an online tree for the Van Horns.  They state that Luvenia "Venie" Van Horn was born in Elm Creek, Marshall, Kansas in 1874.  Her mother apparently was Mary Elizabeth Johnson.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
I don't think the variations from census to census necessarily say much about their character.  The information may have come from any adult in the house, including a boarder, or a neighbor.  If they had a limited education, they may not have been good at calculating ages off the top of their heads. 

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Wow Lisa, thank you for the information. I have spent hours (and hours) looking through lists of Vanhorns, and actually already have a tree started with Jennie Luvenia's mother being Mary Elizabeth Johnson, and her father Benjamin Franklin Vanhorn. I managed to get in contact with someone descended from one of their sons, who was helpful, but led me to believe their daughter was not my Jennie Lavinia.

When I get a chance I'll look more into the other clues you sent, thank you.
Lots but here are a few: Bouscaren, Emerson, Peterson, Gourley, Finley/Fenley, Van horn, Ford, Boyd, Mussaw/Mousseau, Monette, Freiberger, Crandall, Barry, Nellis, Ritzenthaler, Lechleiter...