Author Topic: William northam  (Read 2098 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: William northam
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
That means he moved from USA to Canada in 1890  ??? Immigration dates can be way out any way. Occupations could change.  What other info makes you think he is not yours  ???
Coincidence that Grace Northam was born in Dakota ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
A birth in South Dakota doesn't fit with William's location in Nebraska perfectly, but I don't know if this family should be ruled out entirely.

The daughter's date of birth doesn't fit with Mary being her mother since Etta died a few months later, so I'd guess either it's a different William, Etta wasn't really his wife, or Grace listed Mary as her mother even though Mary didn't give birth to her.

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Oh dear I am getting really confused now. Apart from the emmigration dates being different I do not have any reason to believe William and Mary Dell are the wrong people

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 20:56 BST (UK) »
Bit confused myself for a moment and going from memory though Etta was buried Dakota - but the burial of Etta was Dakota County, Nebraska  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
It is like a jigsaw puzzle.Etta died in Oct.1883 Dakota county Nebraska. Daughter Grace was born in June 1883. She could have died post childbirth.She was only 17 years old when Grace was born. She might not have been married to William  but  listed William as the father of Grace. In 1885 William was listed as widowed living in Nebraska. Perhaps he married Mary Dell and then moved to Canada. I will never sleep tonight!!!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Can't see a death record for William Northam in Manitoba - either he went somewhere else or he lived to a ripe old age. Death records are available for deaths more than 70 years ago - so 1944 at the moment.  ???

Sandra

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Mary Dell died in 1934  aged 83.Manitoba. Perhaps William lived for another10years. Not impossible I suppose!!