Author Topic: Boags & Chickens of Newcastle upon Tyne  (Read 6687 times)

Offline fred111

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Gt Gt Gandmother Isabella
    • View Profile
Boags & Chickens of Newcastle upon Tyne
« on: Tuesday 28 August 12 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David, hope your Charleton quest has gone well. I said I'd start a new topic for Boags as people won't be looking for Boags under Charleton. This may help others, too.

Your Frederick's Dad & Mum were
William Boag bapt 28 Jan 1822 Newcastle
Isabella Chicken bapt 1 Mar 1818 All Saints Newcastle
they married on 23 Aug 1836 at St John's
& had 8 known children,
Hannah 1836 - 91
Ambrose 1844 - 71
Mary Ann 1846 - 68
Thomas 1851 - 61
John 1853 - 94
Elizabeth 1855 - 92
Frederick 1857 - 1902
Frances 1860 - 64
On the 1841 Census, William is a Coffee Roaster
from then on, on the 1851 1861 1871 William is a Bill Poster. Interesting that it was a full time occupation which supported a family and Ambrose and John followed their Dad and became Bill Posters too.
That led me on to other jobs - I looked on the 1851 Census for Laidlaw Court, Manors where William & Isabella lived - there were 32 people doing such things as Cattle Dealer, Bread Baker, Straw Bonnet Maker, Brass Founder, Tailor, Carpenter, Potter, Char Woman & Errand Boy. (I don't know how many rooms the 32 people lived in.)
In 1861 The family lives at 3, Manors. 35 people this time - Dressmaker, Grocer, Seamstress, Joiner, Bricklayer, Coach  Smith, Chain Maker, Tripe Dealer, Charwoman, Draper.
Interesting that all these people doing such different jobs lived together is what was probably very crowded accommodation.
Have you access to the Census returns?
I'll put William and Isabella's parents on next time :)
Liz

CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
CALVIN, DEMPSEY, LYNN.     Antrim
NELLESS, YOUNGHUSBAND GREEN SCOTT DIXON Durham
PENRITH     Penrith
BANTICK HUBBARD CARTER      Suffolk
LYNN UNICK CROW ASHERCRAFT JOHNSON CRAWFORD LOWDEN   USA

Offline fred111

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Boags & Chickens of Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
Next installment.
I'm going to tell you as much as I can about Isabella's Mum & Dad. Obviously, as the dates go back the records can be more difficult to find, so it's a bit sketchy in places.
Thomas Chicken was born about 1787
Isabella Richardson was born about 1789
they married on 12 July 1812 at All Saints
their known 6 children are
Frances  1815
Isabella 1818 - 77
Hannah 1820 - possibly 1866
William 1823 - possibly 1838 (3 William Chickens died that year)
Elizabeth Chatham  1830
John Edward  1833
According to the baptism of baby Frances in 1815 Thomas was a mariner and they lived at Pandon Gate.
Pandon Gate was one of the original gates when Newcastle had a protective wall. It led North East from the village of Pandon. The gate itself was demolished in 1785. There are Pandongate flats where now - so the name is continuing.
Was it because he was a mariner, that Thomas managed to be away for every census! I can't find him on any.
I am not even sure of his death date, because there was another Thomas Chicken, a clerk, married to Judith. So the death for Thomas Chicken in 1867 could be either of them.
Was daughter Elizabeth named Chatham because her Dad had been to Chatham Docks?
In 1851,son  John E. is living with his Uncle Aunt & cousin (also John Chicken) - he is a Mariner's Apprentice. Was he lost at sea? I can find no more records for him, but I can for his cousin.
I have found Elizabeth in 1861 she is Mar, a Pauper & a charwoman. Thomas must still be alive, or it would be 'widow'.
That's all I've got so far on these Chickens! :)
More tomorrow
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
PENRITH     Penrith

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
thank you Liz this is fascinating to see all this  just trying to take it all in many thanks David
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 19:56 BST (UK) »
don't have access to census returns Liz apart from our boa gs where any of the other people related to them or just oother people living ther Liz this is amazing
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
pandon gate was this the haymarket area liz of newcastle thanks david

Offline fred111

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
I had to look this one up David, to be sure.
If I remember rightly the Haymarket is N Newcastle.
When the town walls were built they were heading south on the East side, but they made an eastwards extension to take in the village of Pandon which was granted to Newcastle in 1292. Presumably the people of Pandon would have been glad to be safe from all the raids from the Scots in the 13th and 14th centuries! The gate led out NE from Pandon.
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
PENRITH     Penrith

Offline fred111

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
I don't think the people in these houses were related, but I just looked at their occupations to get a flavour of the sort of people who were thrown together. This would be repeated in houses all over Newcastle.
Some I'd never heard of -eg  a Tripe Dealer. Did he go round the slaughterers and buy up the tripe? Tripe was a cheap meal for the poorer folks then. Was there a huge trade in selling Tripe & Onions? Maybe people just bought it and ate it at home. Apparently, it was cooked in milk with onions, or sometimes served with vinegar or tomatoes.
So, here's researching my family tree got me into history, occupations and cookery of the times, too. It's not just a list of dusty names!
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
PENRITH     Penrith

Offline fred111

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking at the records again, & I'm not sure if I have got it right that Thomas was away for all the Censuses.
 I wonder if the one I thought of as 'the other Thomas Chicken' isn't him after all. On the 1861 Census he is, at age 72, a 'clerk', but in 1841 he was a Mariner and in 1851 a Master Mariner. I can't find any record of a Thomas Chicken marrying a Judith, so maybe he and Isabella parted and he had a 'common law wife'. It would also explain why he and Judith didn't have children earlier. In 1841 daughter Hannah was 2, & in 1851 son William was 8.
What do other Rootschatters think?
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
PENRITH     Penrith

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
can remember my gran having tripe and onions Liz really interesting known all the trades of what people where doing back then Liz