Author Topic: Newcastle Registrars Historical Marriages Index search  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle Registrars Historical Marriages Index search
« on: Friday 10 October 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where its gone?

The link I used to have is no longer working, I have been round and round the newcastle.gov website and can't find it, though the website 'does' mention it and 'says' you can search online, but doesn't give the link.

I sent in a feedback form a while ago, via the link which asks if you found this page helpful and said no I don't. I have had email back (after two weeks) to say my query is being passed to the relevant dept, but wondered if anyone here knows where the search facility is hosted now.

thanks

Boo

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Registrars Historical Marriages Index search
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
I got to the following page but as you point out it lacks the necessary link:
http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/communities-and-neighbourhoods/births-deaths-and-marriages/family-history/historical-searches

I see the page was last updated on 1 October, which is less than the two weeks since you sent your email, but it is clearly not fixed yet. Perhaps a Newcastle resident could give them a call?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
I didn't see this posting until late last night and after trying my usual link, I went into Council site and used various routes but nothing. 

I'll give them a ring on Monday but last time I phoned I had to hang on for 45 mins  to speak to a member of staff: we are always encouraged to use the website.

We are still experiencing considerable  staffing and service cuts up here  :'(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much - I would miss the historical searches greatly.

I have sent them an email, in the hope that the more interest they get the sooner it will be fixed.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Well at least I am not the only one unable to find it, that's always reassuring :-) I agree with SelDen its a really useful facility and I'd like to have it back if possible.

Gadget, the idea about phoning was good but, considering the staff shortages, contact by email/ feedback form is probably the best bet.

I am sure the index is still there, and the link was omitted in error. Getting it added in again will no doubt be in a queue of things to be done but, as the staff have an increased workload after the cuts, it will probably have to wait its turn.

Fingers crossed we'll get there in the end, I'll post again if I get a reply from 'the appropriate dept'

Boo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
I think it's missing links too but this might be best explained by phone. I'll have a go and if it takes too long, I'll await what your response!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
I was on the original team who transcribed the indexes.  The deaths were never uploaded and I noticed recently the years that could be searched for the marriages/births were getting whittled away.... I might be in Newcastle this week and I get off the bus near the Civic Centre, so I'll go in and ask.

It's a pity as North and South Tyneside Councils are busy putting all their indexes online!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Such a lot of work wasted then :-(      That's a sin!

As the deaths were not uploaded and its a transcription, is it possible/allowed for the transcription team to publish the transcription ? If its a straightforward listing then it could be hosted for free on something like Dropbox.

Boo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 October 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
I might be in Newcastle this week and I get off the bus near the Civic Centre, so I'll go in and ask.

Gen in NBL England

Hi GLL.

I've already offered to investigate on Monday . I'm only 5 mins by Metro from the Civic Centre but can phone for free.

Gadget