Author Topic: Center family of Blairgowrie  (Read 20924 times)

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Center family of Blairgowrie
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
Blairgowrie Primary School 1918-20? my father George Center is 6th from the left,rear row. x above his head.
Can any one put names to faces?

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 April 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Black smith Smiddy 34 Croft Lane Blairgowrie George Center 1934

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Geo,

You have some brilliant photographs.  I have no pictures at all of my Scottish ancestry, so I'm quite jealous.

The picture of "The Lodge Blair House" has frustrated me.  I'm sure I recognise the cleanly cut stone and distinctive shape of the door -- but I might very well not.  It looks like the sort of house which belongs on Perth Road, Newton Street, or Keay Street -- that sort of area.  I will stroll that way in the near future for you and see if I can spot the house.

I believe the primary school is Hill Primary School (Google street view: http://tinyurl.com/5uxuqd2).  Not only because of the location, but also because of the stonework, the decorative stonework around the windows, and the width between the window "columns".  If they took photographs then in the same way they did when I was at school (front row sitting on the ground, second sitting on benches, third standing on ground, fourth standing on benches) then I'd estimate the windows to be about the same height too.  The school was closed last year and now the gates are locked securely, so I couldn't get in to see if the wall on the left of the photograph still remains.  In contrast to the grills I could see and which are in the street view, the grill in the photograph is also above the sill of the window, but the design of the grill is the same.

I've just used street view to look at the back of the school (here: http://tinyurl.com/3ko8g2y), and noticed the grills are at just the right height -- between the first and second lighter tone decorative stones surrounding the windows.  From what I can tell there is two windows of three columns at the back of the school, so I would think that is where your father was standing for his photograph.  (Also notice the rounded top of the wall in your photograph, and the rounded top of the walls in the street view.)

More good news: the building which was your grandfather's smiddy still exists (street view: http://tinyurl.com/6cpg5hp).  Look at the roof windows (two sets of three windows, now gone since the street view was taken), the size of the door, the gap between the window and the door, and the same narrow gap between the window and the roof, and the door and the roof.  Unfortunately the gates to the building are always shut so there's no chance of a better picture.  But I will look at the library blacksmith pictures I previously mentioned, and see if there are any similarities.

The church may be the church on James Street which is next to Hill Primary (you can see it in the background from the school street view).  But there is also another church very nearby at the bottom of Kirk Wynd, and another on George Street (North/East end).

Tim

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim
Thank you for your kind remarks,a quick reply as I am needed out in the garden,"The Lodge Blair House" there is two areas in Blair,first area,down croft lane towards the Wellmweadow the house on the right nearly opp the toilets,my family did live in that house at one time.the other area is down the Coupar Angus road towards Rosemount,there is an Lodge House on the Left side of the road,I remember my father talking about it?
Will be back on site later on
Joe

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim
An other warm day,grass cut for an other week.
I also went to the Hill school,PS & High School, still looks the same.
The Church of Scotland top of the hill was the church my dad went to as a boy,I did go there but changed and went to St Catherine,s George st, it saved walking up the hill.
I will scan some more photos.
Many thanks for your help Tim
Joe

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Blairgowrie FC  1930s my father Geo Center was the trainor,back row the Towel over his shoulder.

Blairgowrie FC 1934

Davie Park.

Can any one put names to the faces?

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 April 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
The Center Family 1924

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 May 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Boxing Club Blairgowrie? 1932/3 my father front row 3rd from the right.

can any one put names to the faces?

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 May 11 21:54 BST (UK) »