Author Topic: SINGERS :Atkinson, Chalmers, Hislop , King , Boyd , McMurray  (Read 2555 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
SINGERS :Atkinson, Chalmers, Hislop , King , Boyd , McMurray
« on: Wednesday 20 March 13 02:25 GMT (UK) »

Hi Roots Chatters,
                           A large branch of my Dad`s HISLOP family lived and worked in the Clydebank area from about 1900 onwards. Many of them worked at Singers Factory as did so many.Family names include :- Atkinson , Chalmers , Hislop , King , Boyd and McMurray. These folk were the extended family of Archibald Hislop + Emily Kerr who married in 1871 in Glasgow.
                           I have not been able to establish contact with anyone from this branch of my family but BMD indexes tell me that this family group lived in the area until at least the late 1990 s.
                           Some of the street names where they lived were BLUEVALE , RIDDELL , THOMSON , RADNOR and SECOND TCE.
                           Would love to hear from anyone who has knowledge of or connections to this family,
                                                                    Thommoje 
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline mrs acb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SINGERS :Atkinson, Chalmers, Hislop , King , Boyd , McMurray
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:27 BST (UK) »
Well I have just done a tiny bit of research for my freinds Hubby,he is a Boyd and both his grandfather and grandmother worked at singers.His grandads name was John Boyd,the family were from Brigton Glasgow. :)

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Thommoje,  Hislop is quite an unusual name.. if you google Clydebank library....Mitchell library Glasgow, I'm sure they could help.  Bluevale Street, is in Bridgeton,Glasgow.  The others are all Streets except... Second avenue.. and still exist in the Clydebank area.   I remember my Grandmother talking about a Mrs Hislop who lived on Glasgow Rd Clydebank  in the sixties.   hope this helps a wee bit.

Myyran.
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline Wilma colquhoun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
There are still a lot of the hyssop family in the dunno her area of Clydebank and you can leave a Facebook message to either Robert Anne Diane Donna . Robert is around 60 yrs and the others are his wife and daughters. Robert has sisters Margaret Bain and May Newey and there are other sisters too. They are a lovely family and I am sure if you contact Anne or any of them you will find a large family of hyslops with lots of information. Wilma c