Author Topic: Jean Selkirk born 1 May 1802 at Scotstown  (Read 8408 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Selkirk born 1 May 1802 at Scotstown
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 March 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Meant to mention this earlier. There is one word that I cannot make out between overseer and Scotstown - not sure if relevant. Might be that the 'g' of daughter from the line is getting in the way and it simply says 'at'.

From what I have read, apart from overseer being connected to farming, it was also used in the context of mining. There was certainly mining going on in the parish www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sctpee/genuki/newlands.parish.htm  Also, for this period, an overseer could also be the occupational title for the person overseeing the handing out poor relief in the parish.

...None of which helps us at present!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Selkirk born 1 May 1802 at Scotstown
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 March 11 08:43 GMT (UK) »
So glad you're on the case Monica!

From the rest of the page & comparing the handwriting, it's clear that the writer has a very long loop to the bottom part of the "g" so I think it's overseer in Scotstown & not "at" as I had originally thought.

From what you say, the occupation he held may have been other than agricultural which might add credence to the title of Mr & not his Christian name in the register but who knows!

Agnes
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)