Author Topic: Access to Scottish Wills after 1938  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Access to Scottish Wills after 1938
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
My grandfather died in 1938 in Glasgow. I believe the whole of his estate was willed to father, (as the only child and son) but I know my father decided to give his mother the estate. Because my father (d. 1959) was later diagnosed as terminally ill with war injuries, before his death my grandmother (d. 1948) bequeathed the estate to me in trust in her Will.
I would like to view the details of the Wills of my grandfather, grandmother and father, all of whom died in Glasgow. Is this possible, and where might I access them? (I live in Australia). Thanks to anyone who can advise me.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Scottish Wills after 1938
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Boomeranger

There are a number of people here on RC who are experienced in Wills & Testaments through the 20th C (I am not one of those  :P).

Just some guidance notes in the meantime. For the period you are looking at, unfortunately, nothing is available to view on line currently past 1925 - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?407

For Wills & Testaments past 1925 see here for help notes www.nas.gov.uk/guides/wills.asp

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 14 01:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Monica, I've gone on to the links you gave and confess I am none the wiser! One of them refers to "Virtual Volumes" but I have no idea how I access that sort of file, or if it will even supply what I am looking for. But thanks for your help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
"Virtual Volumes" are not openly available online unfortunately. A further post here on RC www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=640162.0

You will need someone to do these searches in person for you given your location  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk