Author Topic: Greenbaums, England to Cincinnati  (Read 6263 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbaums, England to Cincinnati
« Reply #36 on: Friday 27 April 12 14:04 BST (UK) »
Fingers crossed for someone out there with a family bible, information on Esther's sister, or something else that will magically put everything in place!

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 27 April 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
I'm glad you've found the confirmation you needed.  As to ages, it wasn't unusual for some to adjust their ages during the censuses.  My grandmother was older than her husband and adjusted her age to be younger.  Then, because of mandatory retirement at age 60, she further adjusted her age to be able to teach well into her 70s.

1900:  age 26
1910:  age 30
1920:  age 40
1930:  age 50
1940:  age 55
1949:  died at age  about 74, as stated in obituary (actually 77)

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 28 April 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
Shelyesq: 

I am such a liar whenever I say I'm finished with anything about family history. 

This is a bit off track.  It regards Esther's daughter May.  And it's not exactly the family Bible thing that you mention, but it's pretty close.  It might even be better than that.

For the last few weeks I've been in communication with one of Esther's descendants (Walt and Lucy, May's grandson and his wife).  They have very direct knowledge of Esther (Lucy wore Esther's wedding band for 20 years).  Lucy came up with a provocative observation:  "Esther's daughter May never shows up (in my research) until May's marriage."

Her observation raises a flag.  So I focused in on that and she may be on to something. 

It's especially intruiging  when combined with:

1:  May's name is not included in Esther's 1880 census listing, when May would have been 5 years old (Ella, 11, Albert Ellsworth, 7, and Alice, 3).  That's quite odd.

2:  This info on May's civil marriage record:  "daughter of John Oliver and Ester Treadway".

So…..

Could May have been adopted from one of Nathan's brother's or cousins?

As far as I can recall, I don't believe Nathan had a brother named John, but this certainly warrants further inquiry…

"The game is afoot!"

Will get back to you.
Burke, Sutherland, Curtis, Cuter, Koplik