Author Topic: Death obit For Joesph Hey  (Read 2053 times)

Offline SarahMcfarland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death obit For Joesph Hey
« on: Monday 30 June 14 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was wondering if someone could kindly look up for me the obit for Joesph Hey he died March 1907 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. Thank you for your help in this matter I appreciate it greatly. Have a nice day.
Sarah

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death obit For Joesph Hey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 14 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Did he die in unusual circumstances or was he a person of social standing in the area?

The reason I ask is that for a city the size of Leeds, what you'll most likely get for this date is a death notice with no more than a few lines detailing his date of death and place of funeral.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
Could this be his burial details at St Mark's Woodhouse Leeds?

Joseph Hey died 4 Feb buried 7 Feb 1907 age 49.
Occupation Forgeman, address 18 Lennox Place Leeds.
Grave No 428, burial entry no 62334

Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline SarahMcfarland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
I am not sure as I have his date of birth being June 1854 he was married to Ann Ellen Fox and his parents names were William Hey and Ann Goldthorp(E)
Sarah

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
There are only two Joseph Hey deaths registered in 1907. One is the 49 year old buried in Leeds that Brian found for you (March Q) and the other is a 52 year old Joseph Henry Hey (also March Q) in Bradford.

Joseph Hey aged 22 (birth year  1956/7), bachelor, labourer, who married Anne Ellen Fox on 27th July 1878 at Burley appears to have been illegitimate. No father is named in the marriage register for either of the couple.
There is a Joseph Hey recorded in Burley in 1871, a labourer  born in Leeds aged 14. He is with his mother Ann, who is unmarried, and a younger sister Alice aged 2.
There is a baptism for Joseph Hey son of Ann Hey, spinster at St Peter, Leeds on 25 September 1864. His birth date is given as 29 June 1856.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
William Hey, bachelor, millwright married Ann Goldthorpe at Dewsbury on December 1st 1855.

They had a son named Joseph baptised at St Mark, Dewsbury on 15 May 1867. Birthdate given is 17 July 1856. (The parish register has the surname as 'Hay', but as William is a millwright I would think it is the same couple.)

Joseph Hey aged 24 born in Dewsbury appears in 1881 as the son in law of Thomas Pollard, in Dewsbury.
Joseph Hey aged 23 s/o William Hey, mechanic married Mary Ann Pollard d/o Thomas Pollard on 26 July 1879 at Thornhill Lees.

Offline SarahMcfarland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:19 BST (UK) »
There are only two Joseph Hey deaths registered in 1907. One is the 49 year old buried in Leeds that Brian found for you (March Q) and the other is a 52 year old Joseph Henry Hey (also March Q) in Bradford.

Joseph Hey aged 22 (birth year  1956/7), bachelor, labourer, who married Anne Ellen Fox on 27th July 1878 at Burley appears to have been illegitimate. No father is named in the marriage register for either of the couple.
There is a Joseph Hey recorded in Burley in 1871, a labourer  born in Leeds aged 14. He is with his mother Ann, who is unmarried, and a younger sister Alice aged 2.
There is a baptism for Joseph Hey son of Ann Hey, spinster at St Peter, Leeds on 25 September 1864. His birth date is given as 29 June 1856.

This is him thank you Galium. Was wondering if you could explain to me illegitmate does that mean that they were not truly married? Thank you again for you help
Sarah

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, illegitimate means born to an unmarried woman.

There are two people named Joseph Hey, both born in 1856. If you look at the births index on

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

you will see that one was registered in Hunslet district in June quarter. This is the child born to Ann Hey in Burley (which is in Hunslet registration district, near Leeds), who was unmarried at the time Joseph was born, and is still unmarried at the time of the 1881 census.  His baptism record shows his birthdate as 29 June 1856.
This Joseph Hey is the man who married Ann Ellen Fox. In 1891 he is aged 34 living in Leeds with his wife Ann and children. His occupation is shown as 'forgerman' and he names Leeds as his birthplace.

The other Joseph Hey birth was registered in Dewsbury district in September quarter. This is the child born to William Hey and Ann (maiden name Goldthorpe), who married in 1855. His baptism record shows his birthdate as 17 July 1856.
He appears in 1861 with his parents in Dewsbury, and in 1871 with his grandmother, Mary Goldthorpe in Dewsbury.
In my previous post I said that this Joseph Hey married Mary Ann Pollard in 1879 - and I think that this is correct, Joseph Hey aged 24 born in Dewsbury appears in the Pollard household in 1881. I don't have a definite sighting of him after that.

Without knowing what your starting point is, I am unsure whether your man is the one who married Ann Ellen Fox, or the one who is the son of William and Ann (Goldthorpe) Hey? However, I don't think that they are the same person.

Offline SarahMcfarland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 July 14 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Galium I looked on a family memebers family tree and they have joseph Hey's parents as William Hey and Ann Goldthorpe And Ann Ellen Fox her dads name was William Smith odd as her last name is Fox not smith is it possible that Ann Ellen Fox was married before ? If you want I can email you all the information I have about the Hey family if that makes it easier.
Sarah