Author Topic: Harewood - John Handley Marriage 1807  (Read 12346 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harewood - John Handley Marriage 1807
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 August 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
With limited resources, I make the most of free BMD records plus the cheap CD discs that I have found for only 5pounds inc pp.
If you find I have gone off the beaten track just let me know ::)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 August 14 22:49 BST (UK) »

This cheap website may help, This website has been set-up with the aim of bringing together all family history fanatics who own copies of Parish Registers, Monumental Inscriptions or any other research resources which may be useful to others, and are happy to share the information with other genealogists.  Includes; A-Z County Parish Registers for the UK where available, Monumental Inscriptions, Census and Other Resources.

http://www.parishregisteruklook-upexchange.co.uk/index.htm

http://sheffieldindexers.com/Links/Links_Derbyshire.html

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Hatfield/Hatfield22Dry.html

Trades 1822

Miscellany of trades

Handley Benjamin, saddler

----------------------------
This is mostly London but give an idea of what was involved in being a saddler

http://www.saddlersco.co.uk/thesaddlerscompany/family_history.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi 'Calverley Lad',

Reference your query re whether you are going off track. The truth is, I have no idea where the track is.

As you have probably gathered, I'm looking for the origin of one Benjamin Handley who married at Dronfield, Derbyshire, in 1812, and who subsequently baptized two of his sons 'Charles'. He may or may not have had the same parents as John Handley who had a son baptized 'Charles' at Dronfield in 1808.

From the 1841 census and a burial record, it appears that Benjamin was born in about 1782 in Yorkshire.

I have to ask myself, why all this enthusiasm for naming sons 'Charles'. The usual answer would be that the father was following tradition and naming his first son after himself or his father.

Looking for a possible father for Benjamin on this basis, I can only come up with one. Namely Charles Hundley (but often Handley), a stuffweaver, who married Jane Williams at St Peter, Leeds, in July 1780. One baptism is recorded to this couple, namely Richard at St Peter in 1785, and three burials which all relate to children born in or after 1785. There is therefore and unfilled five year gap into which 'my' Benjamin could nicely fit.

Charles Hundley was a prominent Leeds radical and was one time secretary of the Leeds Constitutional Society, an organization that campaigned for the reform of Parliament.

On the 15th March 1794 Charles (under the name Handley) was brought before York Assizes on what appears to be a trumped up charge of dispersing a seditious paper. You have to remember that this was in the period following the French Revolution and the 'establishment' was getting a bit twitchy. He was sentenced to two years imprisonment in York Castle.

It appears that in 1801 Charles was the master of Knottingley Workhouse, and that in October of that year he went to Rotherham to give evidence in a settlement case. Whilst in Rotherham he was arrested and charged with stealing two pairs of shoes. Whether he did or not we'll never know. He was sentenced  to three months imprisonment at Wakefield.

He was released from Wakefield on the 6th January 1802. After this date he disappears from the radar, but he must have died and he must have been buried. Question is, where? Dronfield would be excellent, but I may be just dreaming.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bolttail

I'll have a look at that the Ulley in Ashon burial Ben burial of father John 1782 in Sheffield Archives where the register are kept for Ashton soon.
------------------

Something to put your teeth into.

A very long shot to nothing this  ???

This is a long term line, search to follow over the coming winter in York.

There is an 'intent to marry' bond allegation, of John Handley to Francis Crossley (Spelt Crosfley then) on 28 Dec 1806 in the bond allegations at Bothwick insitute archives - Bond Allegation index in York university Hesslington, York, but I can't find a marriage by license for John and Frances Crossley anywhere at the moment. ?

IGI have it as York (They always put York for bond allegations) but when they give an age of bride and groom, this mean the intent to marry !! that could be anywhere, sometimes in the bondsmans parish miles from the couple own parishes.

Maybe you could look up posssible bapts for Frances locations 20 year before

---------

Assuming your Ulley/Treeton/Ashton theory farmers, there could be Will/probates at York on micro film for that poss father John farmer Ulley

The will index gives occupations of the departed of the Wills at York, so maybe look for all Handley Will's with occupation Saddlers as a father of Benny b circa 1781-1786.

---------------------

With Benjamin age being circa 26 to 31 at marriage 1812 it possible he learned his trade in the army as a saddler.
-----------------

Another option to look at is Benjamin came from & born there in Hatfield and Mary Simpson was from Chesterfield/Dronfield area- There are some Handley's around Campsall not far from Hatfield. 1780's
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfam. I think the Frances Crossley you refer to was the one born at Hooton Pagnell near Doncaster in 1782. I can't find a marriage for her either, but there are a series of baptisms, parents John Handley and Frances Crossley, in the adjacent parish of Marr from April 1809 to November 1813. Though not impossible for them to have been in Dronfield in 1808.

Regarding Benjamin's possible origin in the Hatfield area, I've always thought that it was his wife, Mary Simpson, who probably came from Hatfield, and that they moved to Hatfield following the death of their first son, Charles, at Chesterfield in 1816. There was a Mary Simpson born at Hatfield on the 1st May 1777. If this was Benjamin's wife, she would have been 43 at the birth of her last child, Mary, in 1820. The 1841 census indicates Mary to be older than Benjamin. Of course, this doesn't preclude Benjamin from having come from the same area.

Regarding the researching of wills, I'm going to have to go away and have a think about this before I reply.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to thank you for your offer to look at the 1782 Aston burial of Benjamin next time your in the Sheffield Archives. I'm fairly certain that Rotherham FHS will have got this right, but hey, you never know, some of these parish records can be very hard to read. Raising young Benjamin from the dead would solve a big problem in my family history.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
My Gt granny x 3 was 72 in the 1851 c,  died age 84 in 1852 on her death cert and was 74 on her gravestone in 1852, so one needs a strong elastic imagination in confirmig some old doc's  ;D

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
A picture maybe forming

Worth a look at the Bond allegation forms anyway 1806 at York Uni

John Handley baptised 18 Sept 1774 in Marr parish father William mother Hannah

If Benjamin was in Dronsfield, 1812 and by 1841 was in Hatfield

why not John Handy  from 1808 Dronfield to be in Marr by 1841

John Handley/Frances Crossley 'intent to marry' by Bond Allegation 1806

Charles son bapt 1808 Dronsfield of John Handley (not sure if the mother was named or not?)

John Handley     age 65  1841c    Marr (B 1776)
Frances Handley aged 58 1841c  Marr  (1783) born bapt 1782 Hooton Pagnel

Bengamin Jr Handley b 1815 Chesterfield married 1846 in Hooton Roberts about 7 miles from Marr parish

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfam, I'm not really following this John Handley/Frances Crossley theme. John was baptized in Marr and and Frances was baptized in Hooton Pagnell (Adjacent parishes). There are baptisms in Marr for this couple from 1809 onward, and they're both still there in 1841. Overwhelming probability is that they never left Marr. Am I missing something?

Benjamin Handley baptized Chesterfield 1815 married in 1846 at Doncaster parish church.

I have never looked at Bond Allegation forms. Are parents usually named? I'll have to look into this and see what I can find.