Author Topic: LOOKING FOR ANY TODD FROM DURHAM UK.  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
LOOKING FOR ANY TODD FROM DURHAM UK.
« on: Thursday 17 March 11 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,  ;D Anybody with any connection to the Todd Family from Durham England. I am attempting to complete a composite family tree from the 1200's through to the late 19th century.

All those Todd genealogists out there in Canada with roots to Durham, I am asking if they can give me some idea of their family with a view to putting this project together ???. I am also asking for help in compilation from some poor misguided soul that has a few spare moments and a computer.

Pay, NONE; Thanks many, many, many. ::)

Cheers all.
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Peter Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR ANY TODD FROM DURHAM UK.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you are still looking, but my grandmother's maiden name was Todd (she lived in Durham).  Full name was Mary Ellen Todd.  She then married into the Messenger family (Frederick Messenger was the husband) and ran Messenger's and sons, a confectionery and restaurant business in Durham.  My mother's maiden name was Messenger, needless to say, and she grew up in Durham as well.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter, Welcome to Rootschat as a newbie and we wish you a very Happy New Year. We are already in 2012 and most are getting over their headaches.

Yes I am still putting the database together and would be happy to see how your family Todd grew. The roots of the Todd's in Durham go back a long way as I said in my earlier post. I have been researching them now for the past 5 years, it has been interesting. It would be great to see where yours fit in the giant puzzle. Quite funny really, having a Messenger connection as well. They are a complete enigma in mine I draw a blank when I go back because it seems there were some name changes just prior to their immigration to Australia, along with some misleading info which points in the wrong direction. I wonder what the reason was, Criminality perhaps?

If you could send me anything you have, that would be great, certainly post on this forum anything you don't need private. No living persons as it against Rootschat Policy and we can communicate later by PM(personal message) you need to have greater than 3 normal posts to use the PM system.

Who knows you may eventually find more of your family. If I or any other rootschatter can be of assistance just post a new thread.

Great to hear from You :)

Neil

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 12 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Not a rellie but a John Todd b. 1785 from Sunderland died Enfield 1875, father Donald ( imagine Nova Scotia)
 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2PC-LQM    http://www.toddhillfarm.com/
Perhaps family might look in if they see ancestor's name mentioned

and another John Todd proud to be born 1880 *Sunderland married in B.C. ( Joseph Todd & Jane Dobson)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDZK-4XR
* often just England is stated...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 12 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JJ and a happy 2012 to you as well.  :D

Searching for ancestors you look in a lot of Blind Alleys when you should have looked for the family home in the right street. All the relies were there all along.

There are plenty of Ex Durham England Todds in OZ, I thought that many should have gone to Canada as well. ;)

Neil  ;D

Offline Peter Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 03:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't have dates, just some names.  Mary Ellen Todd, my grandmother, was a Todd by virtue of her mother, who had married into the Todd family.  As we understand it the line went this way:  An Ellen Campbell (from Scotland) married into a Hardy family and became Ellen (Campbell) Hardy.  Her daughter was named Mary Hardy and she married a Todd in Durham, becoming Mary (Hardy) Todd.  Mary (Hardy) Todd passed away in her early 30s, but not before giving birth to at least one child, a daughter, Mary Ellen Todd.  Mary Ellen Todd then married Frederick Messenger and gave birth to three children: Jean, Alan and Marion Messenger.  That part of the Messenger line ended there.

However, the Messengers had a large family.  Frederick Messenger was one of six children of Joseph Messenger and Charlotte (Thirkell) Messenger.  Charlotte was the one who founded and ran the bakery/confectionary business that Mary Ellen (Todd) Messenger took over and successfully ran.  The six children were Lucy, Ethel, Nellie, Victor, Joseph and Frederick.  Apparently, of the six children, the three women did well, all marrying and having children, while the boys (who were supposed to take over the business), were more problematic.  Family lore has it that Victor was sent to Australia and Joseph to Canada (the verb "sent" is the key verb), however that is all hearsay.  Frederick was not much better, but he had married well in Mary Todd and she took over the business and kept the family going. 

I have a few more names related to the descendants of the Messenger sisters (Lucy, Ethel and Nellie), if you are interested.  I can can also shed additional light on Jean, Alan and Marion Messenger.  We also have a few bits and pieces about the Thirkell relationship.   

Hope this helps in some way.  I'd be interested to know if any of this rings any bells with your research.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 12 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Not sure of your meaning... but Happy New year, and Yes... Nova Scotia is in Canada...
Charles H. Todd signed the Enfield death cert so might be John's son. James A Todd in nine mile River may also be a son. His marriage states parents were John Todd ( a carpenter) & Jane
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/   (Charles, William and Abijah Todd are mentioned in the earlier url)
There are only a few Todd families in Hants, N.S, ( Enfield was in Hants back then) so could be a brother ...Joseph b. c 1803 England, living in Shubenacadie http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881CN_147058
_______
FHS has 5 children mentioned for John Todd & Jane Ann Scott , Hants County, Nova Scotia ( a submission so not reliable ie:Abijah is a male ) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MZWF-DVX
Abijah TODD 1838  http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/QuickMatch11.jsp?id=9984
James TODD 1840 http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=9983&highlight=44
Mary Sarah TODD 1836
William John TODD c.1834 and descendants
Charles TODD  1842
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 12 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Well thanks to both of you for your replies, it is a great start to the Canada collection. Sorry Peter if you can give me one date at least for any of that great history. I can then start to put together something and dig out my files on other lines, who knows maybe the same. There are quite a few in my line that just disappeared in early 1800S. It would seem that the family became disenchanted with the industrial revolution and the coal mining in Durham and most moved away.

JJ that history is also great, just have to get my head around it and start putting the blocks in the holes. I am also very much a novice on Canadian Geography but the links and Google Earth will get me started.

Have a great 2012 look forward to any more info. ;D

Cheers Neil :)

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 12 16:41 GMT (UK) »
You might look at Familysearch.org
You can specify country  and province or state
This is run by the Latter Day Saints, (LDS), and will give you some ideas.
If you have any dates and places, you may want to look at Worldconnect.com
Good luck