Author Topic: Marriage records for Saskatchewan  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage records for Saskatchewan
« on: Thursday 21 August 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Canadian researchers,
Can someone advise me how to access a marriage record for GEORGE HENRY TAYLOR and NELLIE  between 1902 and 1915?  George enlisted in 1915, and listed Nellie as his wife. I suspect the marriage was in Saskatchewan, but that is not proven as yet. Ancestry.com has some Canadian records online, but are very limited. 
In advance, THANKS,
Meredith

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records for Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Think I've only come across Saskatchewan Catholic Church Records.  1846 - 1957

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2001071

Have you got more details on your George ? What year was he born ? When do you think he immigrated to Canada ? Have you found him on a passenger list ? Was he on the 1901 UK census ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Marriages (more than 75 years ago.) Not yet available. Work on this index will commence after the index of deaths has been completed.

http://genealogy.ehealthsask.ca/vsgs_srch.aspx

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply, Sandra.
George Henry Taylor was born 1866 in North Tawton, Devonshire. His first wife was Ada ( married in Essex in 1895, but she died before he emigrated to Canada.  The 1916 Canadian Census lists George as born North Tawton, emigrated 1901.  But, I have a record which shows his wife Ada still in Essex in early 1902 so there's a gap in my research obviously.  George appears to have changed his age when he enlisted in 1915 - suppose that was a common thing to do.
What do I do next?
Looking forward to your input,
Meredith

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Meredith - we are not allowed to give our e-mail addresses on here - spam and all that.
So probably best if you remove it.

Sandra

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
In the 1916 census found here

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/006003/t-21944/jpg/31228_4363973-00664.jpg

it can be seen that George (whose given name is a mystery on this document) was overseas with the CEF.  Also that he and sons Phillip and John came to Canada in 1901.  Nellie is shown as coming to Canada in 1909, with 2 children, Edith born about 1911 and Gilbert? born about 1913.  This info shortens the period for a marriage between George and Nellie to 1909-1911.
George (listed as Geo) and the boys can be found in Saskatoon in the 1906 census, which almost certainly makes the marriage location to be that place.  Can find no trace of George, Nellie, Phillip, Edith or Gilbert? in the 1921 census, but there is a possible John Taylor of the right age working as a machinist in Saskatoon.
Online Saskatchewan birth records seem to end about 1907, which makes them about 7 years behind the promised births more than 100 years ago.  When they get caught up you could learn Nellie's maiden name from Edith or Gilbert?'s birth records.

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 August 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the info and advice.
 It's interesting that the Canadian Census record lists those people who normally live in the residence, even though they were overseas at the time of the Census (ie, Geo - George Henry, was "O" - overseas).  Philip was married in London in November 1917, after he had recovered from war wounds - so he must have left for Europe very soon after the Census. His first child was born in London in October 1920, so he was possibly still in England at the 1921 Census time.
I'm sure George was still in England in February 1902, which is odd, seeing that he has put his Canadian immigration year as 1901.  He was definitely there for the 1901 Census ( March-April I think).
This is certainly stretching my brain! 
Cheers,  Meredith

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 August 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Arriving in Canada 14 Sep 1902 on the Numidian....

G Taylor no age b. Devin Eng
Mrs Taylor no age b. Essex(?) Eng

On a separate ticket, same ship....

Philip Taylor 6
May Taylor 4 (Alice?)
Jack Taylor 3 (John?)

All children b. Essex Eng

From this it would appear that the entire family came to Canada and that perhaps Ada died here. They apparently did not go directly to Sask. G and the Mrs have Crystal City Man as their destination.

There is a death for an Ada A Taylor age 38 years in 1904 in Manitoba that could be related. Crystal City is in RM Louise where this death was registered. The cert should give you enough info to ascertain whether this is your Ada and the cost is low.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

From the 1916 census it appears that John also served and was overseas at the time of the census. The complete files of WW1 records are slowly being digitized and put on line by Library and Archives Canada so you will eventually be able to see more than attestation papers, which are already on line.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Oh Polar Bear, what a find!  This is amazing....I was so worried I'd got my genealogy wires crossed with the cross-over of dates. 
Your info is proof that Census recordings are not always accurate - I've had concerns before with discrepancies which can really throw one's thoughts into chaos...
I will definitely pursue the death record for Ada - this will tidy up my proof records.

Thank you so much for your search efforts -
Regards,
Meredith
I now get out my map of Canada..........