Author Topic: William & Margaret Thompson in Brampton, Peel County, Ontario, Canada  (Read 3895 times)

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William & Margaret Thompson in Brampton, Peel County, Ontario, Canada
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information for William Thompson born abt. May 1880 in Ontario and his wife, Margaret Unknown, born abt. October 1883 in Ontario. In the 1911 census they were married and living on Main Street in Brampton and William was listed as a florist. This is the only information I have been able to obtain. William and Margaret would have 2 sons - Gordon and Thomas. Thomas was killed during the war flying with the Air Force and his body was never found. As far as I know William and Margaret lived in Brampton all of their lives and died there. Any information regarding this family would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William & Margaret Thompson in Brampton, Peel County, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I do not think this is the family. I am quite sure the parents names were William and Margaret.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 14 20:56 BST (UK) »
Are you certain his name was William? Try looking for a Wilb* Hunter Tho*son on A*.
Maureen

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
The only Thomas Thompson who died in WW2 while serving in the air force that had parents in Brampton was the individual shown here:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/2689442

The terrible handwriting on the 1911 census could well have his first name as W A rather than Wm and hers as Millicent rather than Margaret.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
You were looking for brothers Thomas and Gordon Thompson with roots in Brampton.  I have posted the connection to Thomas Wellwood Thompson previously, the attached shows the Distinguished flying Cross award for his brother James Gordon Thompson.  While this family was in Winnipeg when Thomas and Gordon were born they later returned to the Brampton area.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the wonderful information. The sleuths on Rootschat are fantastic and I should never doubt their expertise. The information you have given me has provided me with the real and actual names. I thank you so much.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Amos Wellwood Thompson and his wife, Myrtle Millicent Foster, had a third son, George Homer Thompson born September 30, 1909 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He married a Eileen Honor Calvert. My question to you did George, like his brothers, enlist to fight the war? Both Amos and his wife died in Brampton - Amos in 1949 and Myrtle in 1966. How may I find out where they are buried? 

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
hi,

Just checked Amos's obituary (Globe and Mail) and it says he is buried in Brampton Cemetery.

Amos died at home (3 Peel Ave, Brampton) on Sept 24 1949.  Husband of Millicent Myrtle Foster.  In his 69th year.

RK