Author Topic: Arrivals Nova Scotia 1948  (Read 1042 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Arrivals Nova Scotia 1948
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I have a family arriving in Halifax NS from England 1948 and that's all I've got. Family over here in England has completely lost track of them. I don't even know if they stayed put.

I realise online resources are limited, but could anyone suggest possible places to look for Mum & Dad's death.

Dad, born 1914
Mum, born 1920
Son, born 1947, hoping he's still alive so can't post names.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Arrivals Nova Scotia 1948
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Not a lot available - Have you tried the Historical Vital Statistics for Nova Scotia at this link But only goes to 1963 on deaths  :'(

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/start.aspx

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 14 07:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, I've just tried and there are no entries.

As they don't obviously appear on the electoral registers, could I ask what the criteria would be for a 'foreigner' wishing to vote?

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn.

The electoral rolls are related to the federal elections. One would need to be a Canadian citizen to be able to vote. Someone may correct me but I believe that anyone coming to Canada after the 1947 Citizenship Law came into effect would need to apply to become a Canadian citizen. Prior to this, it is my understanding that immigrants from England were still consisdered to be British subjects who were granted citizenship when the law took effect or who met certain other criteria.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post a direct link to a Wiki.. article here but if you google 'Canadian citizenship and British born subjects' you will hopefully get to it and other related info. National Archives Canada might also have relevant info.

If the name you seek is at all unusual you might try the telephone directory for the living descendent at this link. Addresses are usually provided. I would not put any location in case they didn't stay in Nova Scotia.

http://www.canada411.ca

You could try this BC website to look for possible deaths in case they ended up there. Deaths are available to the public up to 1991 in this province.

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/BasicSearch

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi PB

Thanks for the info.

The surname is quite common and nothing distinctive with the first name or initials, at times like this you wish for a q or z.

Have just tried both sources you mention but nothing.

I have found out today, that the son's grandmother died in England in 1984, so next week, I'll go to the probate office and see if she left will and named her favourite grandson in it!

Dawn

ps you can post links!

Chandler-Chelsea