Author Topic: Edward Thompson from Dundalk  (Read 1688 times)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Thompson from Dundalk
« on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
In my G grandfather's obituary published 4 Feb 1932 there is a reference to his brother Edward who at that time was apparently living in Dundalk.  The Edward referred to was Edward J Thompson born about 1858 in Wellesley Township, Waterloo County, Ontario.  Edward and his siblings were orphaned by the death of both his parents in the summer of 1858.
While I have learned all I care to know about Edward's brothers and sisters, all I have found regarding Edward is a possible reference in the 1871 census of Howick Township, Huron County, Ontario.  I am curious about whatever became of Edward.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Thompson from Dundalk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Can you provide his parents' names in case he knew the names. It is such a common name that more information would be helpful.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Parents were Edward Thompson & Catharine Freeborn both natives of County Donegal Ireland.  Their children were all born in Wellesley Township Waterloo County Ontario.

Perhaps I should have asked for an obituary for his sister Mary Ellen Thompson, widow of Richard C Clarke, both buried in Freeborn Zion Cemetery Wellesley Township. Richard was a veterinarian born in Wellesley Township who later lived in neighbouring Mornington Township Perth County.  He died in 1921 and Mary Ellen in 1944.

His brother James F Thompson emigrated to Alpena Michigan in 1870 and was still alive there in 1940.  I have had contact with James descendants who have no knowledge of his brother Edward.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Found obit for sister Mary Ellen, she died November 1944 and no mention of brother Edward.  Assumed death date now between 1932 and 1944.  His mother died on 29 Aug 1858 and his preceding sibling was born on 19 Feb 1856 so his birthdate can be narrowed down to Jan 1857-Aug 1858.  Only possible sighting through every Canadian census from 1861 to 1921 is a 12 year old found in Howick Township Huron County Ontario in 1871.  The people he was with were former residents of Wellesley Township Waterloo County Ontario where Edward was born.