Author Topic: COMPLETED Canadian Shipping List 1911 William John Rowland (sailed from the UK)  (Read 1083 times)

Offline SallyCat

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry Challis 1905 - Cyfarthfa Brass Band
    • View Profile
I believe William was on board the ship "Scotian" that arrived in Canada in April 1911.  He would have been 24.  Born in Newton Abbot, Devon.

I think he is listed as Wm John Rowland.

I am wondering if there is any additional information?  Such as occupation?  I have never seen the original/on line documents.

William just seems to disappear once we comes to Canada, so I am starting from scratch trying to find him.   The only info I am aware of is that he worked on a farm in Clarkson, Mississauga at some time in the mid twenties.  (Memories from my late father in law, his newphew).

Other than that, have no idea what happened to him.  :( I haven't found him going back to the UK to join up for the war - as yet.  (His brother did return and we've found all his details.)

ANY little smidgen of info would be fabulous!

Thank you.
England Challis Ryder Mullett
Rowland Darke
Fisher Brewer
Lord Brooks Bowden Davis
Ireland - Doyle

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Shipping List 1911 William John Rowland (sailed from the UK)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Departed Liverpool 26 March 1911

From the passenger list images on Anc* he is listed as W J Rowland, listed as a labourer. No age given but was travelling with a C Rowland, both classed as 'single or without husband or wife'

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us the names of his parents and brother?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline SallyCat

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry Challis 1905 - Cyfarthfa Brass Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire, that looks like him for sure.  His brother Charles came over with him, and he is the one that went back to the UK, then returned to Canada again after the war.

Polarbear - his brother was Charles, as I mentioned.  His parents were Charles Rowland and Susan Norsworthy.

William was commonly called "Jack" - but other than finding him coming to Canada, he kind of falls off the radar.   We know that he was still alive after 1926 as that is when Charles and family came back, and Raymond (late FIL) often spoke about his "Uncle Jack" - wished we could have found out more before he (fil)  passed away.

Oh one thing I do remember - the farm was strawberries, and I believe it was big business at the time, so I may have to try it from that angle. ;)
England Challis Ryder Mullett
Rowland Darke
Fisher Brewer
Lord Brooks Bowden Davis
Ireland - Doyle