Author Topic: Moffat Family of Armagh?  (Read 3175 times)

Offline aucklandkirsty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moffat Family of Armagh?
« on: Saturday 21 December 13 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to this and am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on where to go to next to search for information on the Moffat family?

I have recently found in the 1851 census for Kilmarnock, Scotland, the family of William Moffat and his wife. William is aged 36 (born 1815) and is listed as being from County Armagh. His wife Elizabeth is 37 (born 1814) and also from Armagh. Three of their daughters – Mary aged 16, Esther aged 11 and Sarah aged 8 were born in County Armagh. Their fourth daughter Elizabeth was born in Kilmarnock in 1849.

I have the information from Esther’s 1864 marriage certificate which lists her parents as William Moffat (Engine Driver) deceased and Elizabeth Moffat maiden surname Stewart, deceased.

I think (though cannot be sure) I have found the death record for William Moffat in Kilmarnock in September 1857. It lists him as aged 40 and the son of Thomas Moffat deceased and Mary Moffat, maiden name McKinlay. I am unable to find a death record for William Moffat’s wife Elizabeth. I assume she died between 1851 and the start of registration in Scotland in 1855.

I have been unable so far to find a marriage for William Moffat and Elizabeth Stewart (approx. 1834 in Armagh) or anything on Thomas Moffat and Mary McKinlay from Armagh. It is difficult because I do not know which part of Armagh they were from. Could anyone give me any advice as to where I may be able to find any information on this family in Armagh please, as I am completely new to searching in this area!

Thank you!
Kirsty in New Zealand

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Moffat Family of Armagh?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just a tip - when searching for Moffat, also search for Moffet and Mowfat and also with tt - I have a Moffet connection in my ancestry and have seen it spelled in all of these variations.   It isn't a very common surname in County Armagh so its quite likely all came from a common ancestor in the distant past!

Good luck in the search

My Armagh Moffet ancestors were Thomas Moffet 1794-1872 born Drumachee died Lurgaboy, and Jane Porter.  Thomas had a brother William who married a Jane Wallace and both were sons of a William Moffet of Collone. 

Offline aucklandkirsty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply , the variations on the spelling of the Moffat surname are very interesting - I will give these a go and see what I find!

Thank you again :)

Kirsty

Offline davey.h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:26 GMT (UK) »
do you know where in county Armagh they where

the problem is that the dates you are looking for are before civil registration - 1845 non catholic marriage. 1864 catholic marriage and all births and deaths. That means it is the church records you are going to need

Offline aucklandkirsty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 02:09 GMT (UK) »
do you know where in county Armagh they where

the problem is that the dates you are looking for are before civil registration - 1845 non catholic marriage. 1864 catholic marriage and all births and deaths. That means it is the church records you are going to need

Thanks for the message davey.h,
Unfortunately I have no idea where in County Armagh they were from. All I have is the 1851 census entry in Scotland which lists them as being from County Armagh. I think this is going to be a difficult family to follow back any further!
Thank you again for the reply, I really appreciate it.