Author Topic: The Mysterious James NEWBERRY  (Read 51320 times)

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mysterious James NEWBERRY
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 April 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
oh BLIMEY!!! Is the whole world descended from the Newbury/Monk/Ansells?? I am soooo confused.
David, would you please write a book on this subject, I would happily pay for publication........
Sally.
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 April 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
I'm suddenly getting all kinds of email about James Newberry.  It must be my lucky day!  Does anyone in these replies have info on the Newberry's of Dorset and Devon around Colyton, Axminister, Yarcombe?  Looking for 17th century immigrants to the New World.
medieval research

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 April 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
I've not been able to link my early Newberry's with any families outside Herts and Beds.

I've heard of the Monk link before but unfortunately haven't got anywhere with it.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linda63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBERRY/ANSELL 1733 - DANIEL NEWBERRY b.1815
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 November 09 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  
I am related to Daniel Newberry, 6th and last child of Richard Newberry b1772 and Elizabeth Maddle b1778.

My 3x Gr Grandmother was Daniel's older sister Sophia.

I haven't been researching this line of my family tree for very long, and until a few weeks ago all I knew of Sophia was her first name.  So I am amazed to find all this new information

Although I'm a bit worried now someone has mentioned the name of Monk.  I haven't come across this connection before.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 November 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

Welcome to Rootschat

Every time I think this thread is dead it gets resurrected!

I think it's fairly straightforward to get Sophia back to Joseph Newberry alias Monk and Arabella Ansel. But there everyone gets stuck. I still think the alias Monk is worthy of further research, but although I have a Daniel in my database it's only because he was the first husband of Matilda Perkins whose second husband was a Furr of Hitchin, with whom I have no connection! He is probably connected to "my" Furrs of Southill but I can't prove the link. Some day when I've completely run out of lines to follow, I may try to do some detailed research into the Monk angle. But that day hasn't arrived yet. But I don't think this is the same Daniel as yours, as he was baptised in 1817 the son of Thomas and Mary, and was buried in Ickleford in 1849.

Shout if you need any help

Did Sophia marry William Hunt of Hitchin at Ickleford?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 November 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newberry mavens:

Here I am, back talking about the Newberry folks in the U.S. 

I have found one link back in the UK that might be of interest to all of you.  Thomas Newberry, the first person of the surname NEWBERRY, arrived in New England at Dorchester, MA in 1634 and died in 1635, just as he was elected to high office in the Massachusetts Bay Company.  He had two surviving sons, one was Benjamin and the other was Joseph.  Benjamin stayed in New England at Windsor, Ct., and made a name for himself; while his brother Joseph went back to Marshwood Vale, Dorset (circa 1647), and looked after the family assets on a 99 year lease bequeathed to them by their grandfather Christopher Dabinott.  There was some defugalty over the land with his cousins - one named Morgan Haine and his cohorts. Joseph's uncle Robert bought the land to end the dispute.  I am unsure of where Joseph went after that.  Could he or his sons have gone into Beds or Herts?  Just a thought for everyone to consider.

One other interesting thing to consider, Joseph and Benjamin had a brother named John, who committed a crime in New England and was sentenced to hang about 1647.  Is it just a coincidence that Joseph returned to England around that time?  Could he have taken his brother John with him back to England to spare him the hangman's noose?  I have scoured the record looking for an entry that John was actually hanged and found nothing. I did however find he escaped prison and his accomplice was caught.  Unfortunately, I have not found corroborating evidence to prove that he was hung, or that he went back to England.

On another note, I am the administrator for the Newberry Family DNA Project here in the U.S.  Below is a description of the project if anyone is interested in joining.

In January 2009 we launched the Newberry DNA surname project. So far, there have been several lines of the Newberry family mapped. Only two have turned up close ties. We are still lacking a test subject who is definitively related to colonial Thomas Newberry of Dorchester, MA, who arrived in New England in 1634. We are building good framework that will hopefully become useful to people who are searching out their family lines. We hope to also test gentlemen from contemporary Newberry families who currently reside in the UK. The two haplogroups that have been identified thus far are R1b and I1. The company we are working with is DNA Consultants of Phoenix, Arizona - see DNAconsultants.com. If anyone is interested in testing there is a group discount on any test that you might be interested in taking, as long as it pertains to the Newberry family. You may contact me at goldsage@aol.com. Our fondest wish is to find a person who is descended from the New England family of Thomas Newberry who left from Dorset Co. England (Marshwood Vale) in April 1634* arrived in Dorchester, MA in the same year and died there in 1635. Test participants for the YDNA test, MUST BE male descended from father to son and bear the surname NEWBERRY. If there are male members of the Newberry family, who have had their DNA tested elsewhere and would like to add their line to our study, please contact me. Sue Simonich goldsage@aol.com

8) Sue

*William Whiteway's Diary.
medieval research

Offline Linda63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 November 09 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello bedfordshire boy.

Thanks for the welcome.   ;D

Sophia did indeed marry William Hunt.  They were married on 8 February 1834 in Ickleford.  Their daughter Sarah Hunt is my Gr Gr Grandmother.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 November 09 20:04 GMT (UK) »
The earliest Newberry parish register entry in Beds was in Woburn in 1576 when William Newberry married Joan Allin. They were buried in 1589 and 1586 respectively. No children were baptised. The next Newberry wasn't for almost another hundred years in Husborne Crawley, close to Woburn, when Thomas baptised John. Whilst I can't see a marriage for Thomas, Dorset is 150 miles away so wouldn't be the first place I'd look.

In Herts there are Americans who believe that a Thomas Newberry born c1635 at Berkhamstead married c1672 in Hartford Conn., whereas others think the marriage was in Berkhamstead. Apart from a couple of early entries in Watford, the next entry is "our" Joseph in 1733 in Ickleford. So much the same as Beds, although I don't believe that Herts coverage on the IGI is as complete as Beds

So sticking my scrawny little neck out, it doesn't look to me as though there's a link between Dorset and Beds/Herts. I think it more likely that the early Beds names could have come from Bucks, given the proximity of Woburn and Husborne Crawley to the county boundary with Bucks, where there were also Newberrys

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
There seem to be a lot of mysterious Newberry people.  During the early periods of Puritanism, it seems that members took their children outside of their parish to be baptized. Such was supposedly the case with the first Newberry in America, Thomas Newberry. The IGI says that his children were baptized in Worcester, of all places, yet, he was from Dorset (Marshwood Vale).  The baptisms have been searched in Dorset, and a probable cousin of his - Walter Newburgh - was the Rector of Symondsbury, not far from his home. The distant baptisms idea was in an book I read recently.

Thomas departed for America in 1634 from Dorchester, as per William Whiteway's Diary - now in the British Museum.  I was interested in the marriage you mentioned above of William Newberry and Joan Allin, because the New England colonist, Thomas Newberry's daughter married into the Allyn family in America.

Thanks one and all for the interesting topics of conversation. *~Sue~*
medieval research