Author Topic: Baptist and NC Beds/Hunts  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptist and NC Beds/Hunts
« on: Thursday 26 December 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
In a last ditch attempt, I researched Richard Fisher mentioned in a mortgage to see if I could find a relationship from him to the Sabey family and found some fascinating information regarding
‘Some Baptist Churches on the borders of Beds and Hunts’ which may be of interest to others
There are lots of families mentioned and details of how the churches evolved.

http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/bq/11-08-9_225.pdf

Interestingly to me:
‘The Baptist Church at Keysoe was formed 1652 and met third Sunday of the month. Unfortunately the original Church Book cannot be found. The present book begins 12 May 1790 with extracts from the original book, Church Covenant and rules for admission of members’.

The famous John Donne, who was imprisoned with John Bunyan, became the first pastor of Keysoe on the 22 Dec 1662. Interestingly the Keysoe Church Covenant ‘gave members liberty concerning baptism, both with respect to subject and mode’. (I assume this means that some Baptist members did baptise their children, which may possibly answer some questions of NC baptising their children perhaps in the established church?).

Regarding the Church at Little Staughton there is also mention of ‘some people at Little Staughton in 1668 and 1669 were in trouble for not coming to church and baptising their children. They appear to be members at Keysoe……. when a Baptist Church was formed in 1757 many of the members transferred from Keysoe’.

My NOTES (any information or gaps filled -gratefully received)

There was a Richard Fisher the son of Leonard Fisher yeoman of Colmworth and although I have not found his baptism there was a 1694 marriage settlement which give his and Faith Fortunes father’s name.

Richard Fisher married Faith Fortune the only daughter of William Fortune an innholder of Eaton Socon. In William Fortune’s 1707 Will he names his daughter and son in law and two grandaughters Faith and Mary Fisher (as minors). Faith and Mary’s baptisms are not on the IGI but there were two daughters of Richard and Faith Fisher bapt in Colnworth
True Fisher bap 26 Nov 1710 and Tabitha Fisher bap 27 Nov 1715

Richard Fisher’s daughter True Fisher married John Emery (don’t know where and when)
True and John Emery had a daughter Hannah Emery of Ravensden Grange, Beds who was born June 1747 her birth reg 8 Dec 1791 at Blunham Baptist (on NC register)

True and John Emery also had a son John Emery who was born Bolnhurst 1739 a Farmer at Ravenden Grange and later a Baptist minister at Kimbolton, Cartlon and then in 1766 was the 1st minister at Little Staughton Baptist.
Although Leonard Fisher was not named in his grandfather William Fortune’s 1707 Will he is in the 1728 mortgage of Brayes Farm as ‘Leonard Fisher of Colmworth yeoman (eldest son and heir apparent of Richard)’. So Leonard Fisher was born after 1707 but before 1728 and was eldest son so there was another son?
I have not found a baptism for Leonard or any other son of Richard and Faith Fisher.

Richard Fisher married Faith Fortune about 1694 and had a son Leonard born after 1707.
A Leonard and Amy Fisher had a son Fortune Fisher bap 03 Jul 1720 at Colmworth Beds. (Fortune Fisher of Colmworth was a member of the congregation between 1766 & 1776 in the Little Staughton Baptist Church?)

But if Leonard was born after 1707 it seems unlikely that Fortune was Leonard’s son although he was named ‘Fortune’?  Have I lost a generation?

Mentioned in BLAS there is a reference to;
Joseph Sabey of Colmworth who was buried 20 Dec 1736 was the 2nd part of a mortgage and Richard Fisher of the 3rd Part of a 1713 mortgage of Brayes Farm, Bolnhurst.

Unfortunately there is no further information regarding Joseph Sabey’s will although it was quoted in BS1824 reciting BS1799  dated 1713 but there are other Sabey/Fisher links.

John Sabey the Baptist widowed daughter Sarah married Abraham Fisher in 1783 at Keysoe

A.Edward Sabey of Eaton Socon married Mary Fisher 11 May 1778 at Godmanchester, Hunts. It is uncertain who Edward was?

Joseph Sabey married Rebecca Fisher or Hall  28 Dec 1814 Colmworth Beds.
Rebecca Fisher was possibly the daughter of Richard Fisher and Sarah Hull but who was Joseph?

Obviously the later Richard Fisher was not the RF mentioned in the 1713 mortgage but was he related?

I could not find a burial for Faith Leonard or Fortune Fisher but there are three burials in Colmworth for Richard Fisher in 1727, 1740, 1746 and then 1830 (more likely to be the husband of Rebecca) but with no other information I have no idea if any of the first three may be relevant.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist and NC Beds/Hunts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
..............but there are three burials in Colmworth for Richard Fisher in 1727, 1740, 1746 and then 1830 (more likely to be the husband of Rebecca) but with no other information I have no idea if any of the first three may be relevant.

Colmworth burials
15 Mar 1727 Richard, son of Len & Amy Fisher (he was baptised 22 Feb 1726)
19 Oct 1740 Richard Fisher, labourer
15 Mar 1746 Richard Fisher, farmer
There's also burial of Mary wife of Richard Fisher, labourer on 9 Dec 1720

Farmer Richard Fisher & wife Faith baptised children True 1710 & Tabitha 1715 

BLARS have the Admon for Richard Fisher, farmer of Colmworth, ref A 1746/3
They also have the will of Leonard Fisher, husbandman of Colmworth ref 1702/15 who was buried there on 21 Apr 1702 
... and the will of Mary Fisher, widow of Colmworth ref 1767/59 who was buried 24 Aug 1767; don't know who she's the wife of? but the dwelling house of Mary Fisher, widow is listed at Colmworth 19 Dec 1766
Suggest you contact BLARS to see if they will give you details of these

Regards
John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist and NC Beds/Hunts
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 12:24 GMT (UK) »
John, once again thank you for your help. I have as you suggested contacted BLARS and have also asked if they have any knowledge of the will of Joseph Sabey of Colmworth mentioned BS1824.

I did see the reference to the house of Mary Fisher a widow in Colmworth registered for nonconformist meetings on 19th December 1766. I too have no idea who’s widow Mary was but did see that in the 1722 Voters Pollbook of Colmworth there was a Thomas Fisher and Richard Fisher (probably the Farmer). There was also a Leonard and Amy Fisher who baptised a son Richard in 1726 at Colmworth.