Author Topic: Donald Bethune Stuart (1844-1883) parents?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline ridge83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Bethune Stuart (1844-1883) parents?
« on: Thursday 03 October 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
My maternal great grandfather was Donald Bethune Stuart (1844-1883). He was born in the highlands in Ross-shire, Scotland, and died in a drowning accident at Tuapeka West, Central Otago, New Zealand.
I have been trying to trace his parents, but his 1874 NZ marriage cert (in Waikaia, Otago, New Zealand) is too early for that to be recorded (I have a printout), so that leaves his death cert. That just gives Donald Stuart as the father, mother unknown, informant being the undertaker, years in NZ not known. I suspect, his wife, left with four young children, was either not asked or in such a state that such things didn't matter. I have turned to his children's birth certs for more on his place of birth, and I get consistently his name: Donald Bethune Stuart, born 1844, from Ross-shire Scotland, a shepherd.
I have the inquest into his death but it gives no further family info.
Through Ancestry, ScotlandsPeople, and Family Search sites I have narrowed down the possibilies to 1or 2 using his name Donald Stuart and birth year 1844 plus/minus 1. The Bethune second name doesn't come up as useful so far.
His parents point to being Alexander Stuart (a thatcher, 1826-86) and Bathia nee Ross (1822-1905) from Maryburgh, Fodderty parish in Ross-shire. I have his birth from 1844 (Donald Stuart to Alexr Stuart, and Bathia Ross, Maryburgh), and his parent's marriage cert but it is 1850 !!!, and I have traced some later children including another son Donald. That seems strange but might explain his consistent use of Donald Bethune. I can't find my Donald Stuart in the 1851 or 1861 census, and can't find his parents in the 1851 census.
I have used New Zealand's Paperspast and it does cover the inquest, again nothing further, apart from the sad fact that 3 of his four children (3 boys) were sent to Caversham Industral School as his wife was "destitute"
I haven't been able to find out when he came to NZ and seems little hope of that given his common name.
So i am left with circumstantial evidence. Does anyone have any ideas about other sources?

many thanks
Russell Tuffery
Auckland
New Zealand