Author Topic: Macdonald - Rosskeen early 1800's  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macdonald - Rosskeen early 1800's
« on: Saturday 19 October 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my Macdonald ancestry. My Great Great Grandfather Donald Macdonald was - according to census material, born in Rosskeen Rossshire in about 1812.  His death certificate in 1879 states his father was Charles, but does not state his mother's first, nor maiden name just .......Macdonald.  Donald Macdonald married a Margaret Sinclair, had some children, she died and then he had 3 more children with Ann Sinclair. They were living in Brechin Forfar during this time.  One of those 3 children is my Great Grandfather Donald (Daniel) Macdonald and he emigrated to Australia in 1886. I cannot get further back to find Donald Snr's birth in Rosskeen and his parentage.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Foffie

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Maclean 1837-1921
    • View Profile
Re: Macdonald - Rosskeen early 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne

Might this be your Donald?

Name: Donald Mc Donald
Birth date: 19 December 1809
Birthplace: Rosskeen, Ross and Cromarty
Father's name: Charles Mc Donald
Mother's name: Katherine Ross

Source: familysearch.org

Regards,
Foffie

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 June 14 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Foffie,

It could be but I have no way of proving it.  My Great Grandfather Donald Macdonald (McDonald)'s father was Donald McDonald and mother Ann Sinclair however all I have found is a death certificate for Donald Macdonald Snr noting his father as Charles Macdonald and nothing written in for his mother.  That document would note his birth year as 1812.  Various census details I have varies his age from birth years of 1811 to 1816, so 1809 is a little way out.  Census details note Donald Snr's place of birth as Rosskeen, Rossshire. My Great Grandfather Donald (Jnr) named one of his daughters Georgina 'Ross' - and another daughter Isabella 'Millar'.  Millar was the maiden name of Ann Sinclair's mother, so it could well be that 'Ross' was the maiden name of Donald Macdonald Jnr's Grandmother - meaning Katherine Ross is a good possibility of being my Charles' wife.  Would be nice to be able to prove it. I have put both Macdonald and McDonald because Donald Jnr's birth certificate shows both Donalds as McDonald, however Donald Snr's death certificate, and Donald Jnr's marriage certificate note it as Macdonald.  Young Donald appears to have changed the spelling on his father's death certificate when notifying of his death in 1879 and retained that spelling when he married in Australia.
Thank you
Anne 
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline dejavu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, This is a sympathy response as I have similar problems with the Ross family. The best 'proof' might be looking at the Scottish naming system and correlating names in the younger generation to the older. But I am a rank amateur. Good luck Sally

Offline Cathnor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Have you done a DNA test on Ancestry or any of the others? The reason I ask is I'm hoping you and I might be looking for the same person/people. I'm not sure if I am allowed to do this but I am on Ancestry under Talowill, if you are on there please see if you can find my tree and look for Charles McDonald. Look forward to hearing from you. BTW I am in NSW.
Tanya