Author Topic: Cannot Track Down A Death Record - Any Suggestions?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline mgty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cannot Track Down A Death Record - Any Suggestions?
« on: Friday 30 May 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a death record for an Elizabeth (Lizzie) Sargent/Sergeant, maiden name McIlvaney.  I think she died between 1893 and 1901 however, I've been unsuccessful in finding any record of her death.

Originally she came over from Ireland.  The family story was that when her husband William died in 1864, she brought her young family of 6 from Ireland to Scotland.  The first record I have for her though is the 1891 Census when she is living in Govan with her son Hugh.  She was aged 70 at this time.   I found two of her other sons on the 1881 census living in Govan also - Alexander who was living with his brother John and John's wife Isabella.

Elizabeth's son Hugh dies in 1893 and she is still listed as a widow but by the time that her son Alexander dies in 1901, she is shown as deceased on his death certificate and still with only the surname of Sargent m.s. McIlvaney - so it does not seem like she remarried.

I have never managed to track down any other children but of course it is possible that she went to live with them and perhaps they are not in Scotland.  It seems unlikely that the story of her bring her young  family to Scotland is accurate.  My feeling that she may have been in Scotland at the time of her death is only fuelled by her wedding ring which passed down through the family to me as a descendant of Alexander. (Hugh was single when he died and John's daughter died when she was young).

Apart from bmd and census records, I also have seen very detailed poor relief records for John which confirms his mother's maiden name.

In Ireland their surname was spelt "Sergeant" and in Scotland mostly as "Sargent". All records that I have found for them in Ireland relate to Co Armagh and in Scotland they relate to Govan.

If anyone can offer any help then I would be very grateful!  :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Track Down A Death Record - Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
One suggestion - she went back to Ireland for a visit and died while there?

Or
Was in England for some reason and died while there?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mgty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 May 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions Dawn and I will look into these records.  Feel like I should have thought of that myself but I think I got too caught up into looking for other children in Scotland! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.  :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 May 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Another thought - she got married again ?

This happened with one of my Blue lot - found her named on her husband's memorial stone, even with a date, but not on the records.  Years later discovered she had married again, so of course I had been looking for her under Blue when she died with another name.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mgty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 May 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
That's a good call too Dawn.  I think from the Scottish records side of things it's one for a visit by me to SP at the Mitchell to trawl through records. I've had a look online today at Irish records but nothing has matched so far but I'll persevere! Part of the fun of course is turning up these types of hard to find records.
Glad to hear you managed to track down your record in the end - always good to hear these positive stories when you are looking for someone. 😊

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 May 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
Another thought - she got married again ?
This happened with one of my Blue lot - found her named on her husband's memorial stone, even with a date, but not on the records.  Years later discovered she had married again, so of course I had been looking for her under Blue when she died with another name.

If she remarried, and died in Scotland, she should still be indexed under her maiden surname and both married surnames.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mgty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 June 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.  :) I'll check out possibilities at the Mitchell in case there has been a spelling mistake or it has been transcribed incorrectly.

Offline mgty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 June 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
One suggestion - she went back to Ireland for a visit and died while there?

Or
Was in England for some reason and died while there?

Dawn M

I've not found any likely contenders in Ireland but one or two in England that suit with dates and age.  I've no connection with her being there though so will keep a note of them for now.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  :)