Author Topic: Well when can you use someone else's ancestry tree?  (Read 5305 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Well when can you use someone else's ancestry tree?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 May 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
I have found plenty from other trees. Check the sources.

I strongly believe in sharing my info, because I have my info on my website, many people have contacted me
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 May 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
I use trees on Ancestry for as a resource for information about my own tree  - which I don't keep online anywhere.  I sometimes copy photos, but I don't use them online in any way, nor do I give them to anyone else.  If the information and photos are on a public tree I reason that the tree owner doesn't mind other people seeing them, or indeed using them privately.
If I am able to give anything back that the owner doesn't seem to have, I will contact them directly via Ancestry, or post a comment attached to which ever individual on their tree it applies to.  Sometimes the owner says thank you, sometimes they don't seem to be interested, but I think it's only fair to offer some return for the help I've got from being able to see someone's tree.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 May 13 04:41 BST (UK) »
I'm all for having my Tree online, which I have on Rootsweb, this tree I think also appears on Ancestry.
I was contacted a couple years ago about a ancestor Rees Lewis who came to Queensland, Australia circa 1886.
This led to several of us sharing information, then researching him and his wife, we ended up being able to go back 4 generations or more. This was the 1st I knew I had Welsh Ancestors!.

One relative quite often contacts me to query the information I have on Rootsweb and this has led to finding more about our Ancestors.

I also look at Trees on Ancestry, don't always agree with the information, however I have found it can lead to further research.
I sometimes leave notes so anyone checking can see why I don't agree with information on the tree or trees.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 May 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
Definitely nothing wrong. As already stated , you have used the tree information as a resource, checked and verified it, and used the info you didn't already have.
The problem we all have is when other people take your tree wholsale and add it to their own, regardless of how tenuous the connection.
Well done for what you have done.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:26 BST (UK) »
I'd also guess it's okay, IF you use it merely to check out your own research. Not grabbing wholesale - and don't believe it without properly checking, in any case!
It's annoying though, when you see errors and kidnapped / mixed up families on trees - double the number of children for one couple, because as I knew, they'd mingled two different families in the same small area (I'd nearly done the same myself, ages before, then commonsense had kicked in and I'd checked it out more thoroughly)
Sending messages to point out firm errors or offer further information can be frustrating if you don't get any response - and months later you happen upon the same tree and they've done nothing. Makes you wonder if it's worthwhile trying to help out.
I feel a lot better, though, having sorted out things by myself, from records, I'll admit. Very little has been helped by viewing other peoples' trees - but loads of help given on "Rootschat" when I've been stumped. I always am reluctant to ask, wishing more often that I could more often give some help in the same way.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 May 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
I have sen some trees where they have children with earlier birth dates than parents. While I have nothing against using other trees, you do need toxheck the sources before borrowing!

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 May 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
I have always attempted to contact the person who puts the tree in the public domain, and do the checking accordingly.  Sometimes I have had a reply sometimes not.  The mantra is 'check, check and check again'!  I have found mistakes and again have attempted to contact the person of the tree concerned, and again sometimes they correct it, but mostly they don't!!!

Anna