Author Topic: oak terrace, swansea in 1901. where is it?  (Read 6592 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: oak terrace, swansea in 1901. where is it?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:11 BST (UK) »
hobbyhorse,
Have checked the 1911 Census.
The address for Joseph and Margaret is just 100 yards up the road as I type- small world!!.

A Joseph Leather appears on a 2nd Census return for 1911 - on board ship.

Will carry on checking

regards 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 September 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
hobbyhorse,
Found the following in Swansea Archives yesterday - St Paul's Church, Sketty.

Baptism      Apr 27th 1910       William Charles         Father    Joseph Leather   Occ'n    Ship Cook        Mother       Margaret                Address       7 Cory St, Sketty           P Rigby   Asst Curate

Couldn't find a baptism for Joseph Jnr. Looked for the marriage of Joseph/Margaret but pressed for time.
Unable to find Joseph and/or Margaret on the 1901 Census.

regards 

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 September 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for looking. I have the christening of William Charles, but have been unable to find Joseph junior...... there is no birth or death record for him in the register office, but there is a christening for him, in St Mary's church. I have searched for his birth/ death, but the registry say they have nothing! Although he did exist, as confirmed in the 1911 census.
Joseph is on board ship, berthed in Swansea docks, in the 1901 census. I have located his whereabouts, but have been unable to find any trace of Margaret, who is in Swansea somewhere. Hence the presumption that she would be living at Oak Terrace.... have found a mention of Oak Terrace in 1908, in the Cambrian index.... there was a pub nearby' Hearts of Oak'. It's strange that there is nothing on the maps. Is there no census return for Oak Terrace, in 1901?
Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.
Hobbyhorse

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 September 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
No 1901 record. My earlier post mentions how it appears on the 1871 Census but no mention afterwards.
I got into conversation yesterday with a visitor to the archives and when I mentioned missing address he immediately asked was it a Terrace. A feature of a Terrace was that they often reflected the builders name to start but were gradually incorporated into the official post office street address.

Will be in touch if I can find anything further.

regards and good luck

Offline lilin64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I lived at oak terrace between 1940/1960 approx,if u walked down the hill from st Joseph's church (now cathedral) and turned left at the bottom,leading down to cwmfelin works(now a housing estate) that was oak terrace.the name was then changed to llangyfelach street.the houses are long gone,now just a grassed over hill.i lived at number 99 oak terrace.i hope this info is of some help to you,  Maureen  Hammond.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Mo,
A very warm welcome to Rootschat and thanks for contributing. Always great to have local knowledge. 

http://old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Click on the link and in the boxes marked "Coords" put in the coordinates    265545   194380   and hit "Go"
A modern map of the area around St Joseph's will appear. When all the maps are loaded tab down to the 1951-1956 map on the right hand side of the screen and click on "Enlarge map". The 1951 56 map will appear in the main window

Click on the main window to enlarge the image (click on anywhere except the red box marked "Enhanced zoom"). Convent Street leads down from St Joseph's to Llangyfellach Street and turning left leads to the old Cwmfelin Works. How far along was No 99?

Offline lilin64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 15:22 GMT (UK) »
turn left at the end of convent street.onto what was oak terrace.99 was just over half way down the road.towards the old cwmfelin works,i was employed there.maureen

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 March 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for the information. Were these houses terraced? when were they demolished?. If I could locate this street in the 1901 census, they I may be able to find my missing ancestor, Margaret, whom I am unable to trace. She is in Swansea, but her name must have been transcribed incorrectly. Is there any way of locating the street in the 1901 census?
Many thanks
Hobbyhorse

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 March 14 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Who were her parents? (Father on the marriage certificate?)

She may have been mis-recorded with her maiden name if she was staying with her parents while new hubby on board ship? eg father did it without thinking etc., etc..

There is a Margaret A Jones (22 b Swansea) )with father(James) mother(Margaret)
Swansea, Llangafelach
ED 14, Hsched# 351, RG13 / 5072 / 59 / page 62

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).