Author Topic: Cemeteries in Mountain Ash  (Read 6141 times)

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemeteries in Mountain Ash
« on: Wednesday 22 May 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if Aberffrwd Cemetery, Mountain Ash is the same as Caegarw Cemetery. I have an aunt who was buried there in 1919. I know it's not Maesyrarian.
Alwyn Jones

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Cemeteries in Mountain Ash
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 10:48 BST (UK) »
I don't know the area however everything I look at points to them being one of the same this index of Mountain Ash was compiled in January 2004

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0u29/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, this is an index of the contents of Bevan's book on the History of Mountain Ash in Welsh from 1896 that has been translated into English in the 1990ies. The copy is out of print but NLW will have it to peruse.
Thanks again
Alwyn Jones

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 13:13 BST (UK) »
This has some interesting information http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=1110

Yes I think the library should be able to get hold of a copy. I look ed to see if there was any ebooks online but the searches are very slow.

There is a whole section of links for Wales on here too which you might find interesting /helpful http://familytimeline.webs.com/apps/links/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough, I am just outside it!!  It is closed at present and the gates  are locked .

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 15:55 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline rachelburnley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 February 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find out info about my family who lived in mountain ash. Where best to visit to find out information and records. Are there any online sites for graves?

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 February 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not. The two main cemeteries are Maes yr Arian on the main Road to Aberdare and the closed Cae Garw (Aberffrwd).
I've written for information to the Burials Clerk in Aberdare on a number of occasions and the service is appalling, not a single reply.
My sources were the censuses until 1911 then the local newspaper, the Aberdare Leader which was an excellent source of information. I'm lucky in that I work next to the National Library of Wales where the Leader & it's successor, the Cynon Valley Leader is archived.
To think this is such a densely populated part of Wales, the information available is sparse indeed.

Offline rachelburnley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 February 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I am planning to visit. Where best to start. Trying to find grandad's siblings