Author Topic: James Kirkpatrick  (Read 2740 times)

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Kirkpatrick
« on: Thursday 30 December 10 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with any suggestions to where James Kirkpatrick died!   I have spent a fortune on SP but cannot find his death.
The details I have as follows:
James Kirkpatrick married Agnes Gracie in 1847 at Closeburn.   She died in 1887 at Cample, Closeburn.   They had daughter Janet who married James McKinnell.   They also had a daughter Agnes who was unmarried and stayed at home with James until she died in 1894.   He registered her death and they were at Closeburn Mill at that time.   A granddaughter Mary also stayed with them.   She was a daughter of his son James.   She married John Clark in 1892 (again in Closeburn) and they are on the 1901 census at Closeburn Mill but no sign of James Snr.   After he registered his daughter Agnes death in 1894 I cannot find any trace of him despite various searches and spelling variations on SP.
His wife is shown on a gravestone in Closeburn old Cemetery with other members of the family but not him.   I reckon he must have died between 1894 and 1901 unless I have just not found him on 1901 census.   He is shown as aged 71 years on 1891 census and I have him on 1841, 51 and 81 census also.
Anyone any ideas how else I can look for his death.   I am trying to prove his parentage as he registered Susan Kirkpatrick's death in 1861 at Cample and under his signature is written 'son to Susan' so I assume he is illegitimate.
Any ideas.  Thanks.
Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline waddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Kirkpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 11 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Tika - I can't help you with James Kirkpatrick, but I  do wonder if there is any connection with my George Henry Kirkpatrick, who was also born in Closeburn abt 1821 and went to South Africa in the 1830s/1840s.  Also I have the feeling that George was illegitimate too as he doesn't exist as Kirkpatrick in Scotland, only in South Sfrica from 1847.  Any thoughts?
Waddy

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I can't be of much help.   I don't have any George's in my family that I am aware of.   I can't suggest anything for you but will keep you in mind if I come across a George Henry Kirkpatrick.

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline waddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks it was worth a try - I'll have to keep hoping.
Waddy