Author Topic: William Campbell b c1822  (Read 11128 times)

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Campbell b c1822
« on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I am very keen to find the parents of William Campbell b c1822. Unfortunately the record of his death in Durris in 1888 says that his parents were unknown and the record of his marriage to Elizabeth Reid in Nigg in 1849 does not give the names of his parents. Sadly I have not been able to find a birth record or an entry in 1841 Census for him. Does anyone have any other suggestions where I might look for the names of his parents?
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell b c1822
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:49 GMT (UK) »
IGI has the marriage on the 09 JUN 1849 at Banchory Devenick, Kincardine. (Scotland's People has it on the same date at Nigg, Kincardine.)
The IGI entry has him born 1822, at Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland.
The same entry has his death as on the 20th September 1889 which would be in conflict with the 1888 Durris record.

Regards

Malky

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 17:34 GMT (UK) »
The IGI entry you looked at is wrong; it is definitely 1888
Regards
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 18:01 GMT (UK) »
hi all  :)

his will on SP has his death as 17 sept 1888(£5 to look at and you must pay for it seperately , you cannot use site credits to purchase)
i would doubt if it would give the names of his parents
the 1881 census gives his birthplace as England and age as 50

ev

added - the 1851 census has birthplace as Newcastle England
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I have read his will and it does not refer to his parents.
I know he says in the Census that he was born in Newcastle but that does not mean that his parents came from there or that he was baptised there.
I have had a look at a few William Campbells that were baptised in the Newcastle area c1822 but none proved to be my man.
My search for his parents/relatives has tended to be concentrated in the Nigg area of Kincardineshire because that's where he appears first in the known records ie his marriage to Elizabeth Reid and it is unlikely that he landed in the Nigg area in 1849 without some strong family connection to that area.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
The only other instances I have found regarding the subject name is,

Census 1841, William Campbell, aged 20, residing at Benholm, Kincardine.

A birth of a William Campbell, 16th July 1821, christened 19th August, Montrose, Angus. Father, Donald.

A birth of a William Campbell, christened 30th March, 1823 Arngask, Fife. Father William Campbell, mother Sarah Kinnear.

Further,
Census:-
1881, living at Durris, born in England.
1871, living at Durris, born in England.
1861, living at Nigg, born in Banchory.
1851, living at Nigg, same farm as the 1861, born in Newcastle, England.
1841, living at Arbuthnot, born in Scotland. At this stage, there is no proof that this is him, as there are no relations to cross reference with.

Regards

Malky

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 11 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malky
Thanks for your help
I know about the WC residing at Benholm in the 1841 Census but have rejected him as a candidate for several  reasons 
1. His age is given as 20 on the Census form which means he was between 20 and 24 years of age under Census rules. I am looking for a WC aged 18ish, who should have been recorded as being 15 
2. It doesn't say he was born in England on the Census form although that may either be an omission or the person speaking to the Census enumerator didn't  know.
3. His occupation is given as fisherman in the Census and I do not think he could switch to being a crofter by 1849 or earlier without years of training.
For your information there is an Alexander Campbell aged 15 next to William's name on the 1841 Benholm Census form who is likely to be his brother
Regards
Colin

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
this might be something or nothing  :-\

the IGI has a william campbell baptised 21st may 1820 Christ Church tynemouth northumberland , parents james campbell and ann ?

if you look at the 1841 census(freeCEN) there is a james and ann campbell in
south loirston nigg kincardineshire
james age 60 is an army pensioner ann is age 56

there is also a willm. campbell age 20 ag. lab. at arbuthnott kincardineshire(1841)

all born outside census county

the IGI(beta search) also has a marriage for a james campbell and ann hogarth 19th april
1814 Christ Church tynemouth northumberland

i note that william campbell and elizabeth reid had children james and mary anne

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 11 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev
Thanks for your help. You have done very well in a short space of time.
I have already looked at William, the son of William Campbell and Ann Hogarth before. Unfortunately I found him in the 1851 Census still living in Tynemouth with a wife named Ellen whilst my WC was definitely living in Nigg in 1851. He was a master mariner like his father
I have also had my eye on the James Campbell & Ann Campbell living at South Loirstone for a long time. Having been in the army, he would have been moved about a lot and could have been stationed in Newcastle for a time. However I discovered that most of the recorded children they had were born in Aberdeen, Newhills and Newmachar between 1815 and 1823 after he had left Army service. Their first born was a William who sadly died as an infant but they could have had another William later.
Please note that my purpose in placing this matter on the RootsChat forum was to find out if there was any document, local or national, that might record parents names other than the OPR's, the Censuses and the statutory register etc
Regards
Colin