Author Topic: Burnham  (Read 7735 times)

Offline hbaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burnham
« on: Saturday 22 January 05 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Researching the following family names who lived in Norfolk during the 17-1800's in Burnham Westgate, Burnham Sutton cum Ulph, Burnham Market:

Beverley
Taylor
Young
Bulling/Billing

Thanks, Heather
Lingley, Rafferty, Jones, Taylor, Beverley, Finch
Burnham, Norfolk
Lavenham, Suffolk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burnham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Do you need any look-ups or are you just seeing if anyone else is on the same tree?

I am in Norfolk and I have several books etc if you need specific look-ups.

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline hbaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 05 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
You asked if I need any look-ups or just looking for people with common ancestry.....a bit of both I suppose! 
At the moment, I'm trying to sort out the Taylor family of Burnham Westgate/Sutton during the early 1800's but its a bit complicated being a common name and what seems to be a few different Taylor families.  As well, one part of my family tree has gone off to London and then returned to Burnham Westgate so with one geneartion being born in London 1790-1800 ish I haven't been able to track down their birth details including the maternal family name.
Do you have any information or connections to the Burnham villages in Norfolk?
Thanks very much,
Heather

Burnham, Norfolk
Lavenham, Suffolk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 05 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Yes, I have lots of information on the Burnhams and Norfolk in general and that is why I asked if you had specific needs as to do a blanket look for Taylors or Burnhams would take ages.  In the 1851 census index there are over 40 hits for Taylor living in Burnham.

If you have specific names that you need info on for 1851 for instance or in Norfolk marriages 1803-37 I could do that for you quite easily.

I look forward to hearing from you. 

By the way, if you need further research in the NRO I do research on a paid for basis too.
Where are you?

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline hbaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 February 05 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi.....thanks for the response again.
I've got a pile of census entries for any Taylor I could find living in Burnham between 1841-1861 and I'm still in the process of piecing it all together.  I do have an extensive list of Tarylor info either from the familysearch.org website or a local historian that has given me oodles of info on births/marriages/deaths in all the Burnham villages.  The problem I've run into though is that although I have marriage entries of the early 1800's from church records, there's no mention of parents so its hard to tell who would be possible siblings.
What would be helpful would be to find birth records for who I suspect are 3 brothers:  PETER TAYLOR, JAMES TAYLOR, & JOHN TAYLOR.  They are all shoemakers born in Whissonsett, Norfolk and have all married in Burnham Westgate.  The son of James marries a Harriet Beverley (who I'm a direct descendant of) but this Harriet Beverley's mother is Rebecca Taylor which makes me wonder if there is a connection between Rebecca and these 3 Taylor brothers.  Rebecca Taylor was born 1798 in London City according to census records but was married to Robert Beverley 1817 in Burnham Westgate and her father is Robert Taylor of Burnham Westgate (born 1772) who is the son of another Robert Taylor of Burnham (1735-1782).
Anyhow, I'm off on a tangent.  One possibility I see is if Peter, James, and John were born in Whissonsett but their father being from Burnham and a sibling of one of these Robert Taylors making them some type of cousin (did that make sense?)  So back to my point, do you have any birth records for WHissonsett?  From the census returns, James would have been born in 1795).  The marriage details are:

PETER TAYLOR & MARY MILES - Burnham Westgate July 8, 1815
JAMES TAYLOR & ANNE LAKE - Burnham Westgate Nov 15, 1825
JOHN TAYLOR & PHOEBE SPOONER - Burnham Westgate Dec 25, 1829

Any insight on how to take it back a further generation to see if there's any connection with my  Taylors?  By the way, if you've heard of the Burnham murders it is Peter Taylor who was hanged in Norwich for poisoning his wife Mary and someone else as well I think.  I noticed the Taylor family name on the bottom of your list of interests but from a different place in Norfolk.  I suppose with such a common name it doesn't necessarily mean that people would be related.
I live in Brighton at the moment although I'm actually Canadian and am just living here for a few years.  I thought I'd find out about my English roots while I'm here in the UK and take advantage of the ability to go to places like the PRO in London.

Thanks,
Heather

Burnham, Norfolk
Lavenham, Suffolk

Offline amour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 05 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi dont know if this will help l have  a ELIZA TAYLOR born 1856 married to EDWARD DOUGHTY in 1879 her father was WILLIAM  mother HANNAH they had 6 children. EDWARD isnt my direct line  he was a brother ,so l dont have that much info on them but they are from the same placeyour asking about
Regards
Amour
Norfolk
Doughty,Hubbard,Ayres,Kittle.Shreeve,Lawson,Durrant
Sussex
Holman,Whickens,Brown,Gregory,Ashbee,Snasher
Kent
Abnett,Vernau, Denton,Francis,Strobridge,Medhurst
Middlesex
Snoswell,Roberts,Goostree
Derby
Roberts.Heath

Offline AlanR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 March 05 21:57 GMT (UK) »
If Hbaid is around, please get in touch.
In February she mentiond some Taylor and Beverley relatives in Burnam Norfolk, who are my direct ancestors.

Offline nevilledaniels

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 06 20:06 GMT (UK) »
HARRIET

Rebecca was born in Burnham Westgate.
1851  abt 1799     London, Norfolk, England
When everyone else is born in Burnham Westgate

1861  abt 1793 Burnham, Norfolk, England

Regards

Neville

>>>
PETER TAYLOR, JAMES TAYLOR, & JOHN TAYLOR.  They are all shoemakers born in Whissonsett, Norfolk and have all married in Burnham Westgate.  The son of James marries a Harriet Beverley (who I'm a direct descendant of) but this Harriet Beverley's mother is Rebecca Taylor which makes me wonder if there is a connection between Rebecca and these 3 Taylor brothers.  Rebecca Taylor was born 1798 in London City according to census records but was married to Robert Beverley 1817 in Burnham Westgate and her father is Robert Taylor of Burnham Westgate (born 1772) who is the son of another Robert Taylor of Burnham (1735-1782).
<<<<

Offline Geoffers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 March 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Burnham Thorpe Copyhold documents are available from Archvie CD Books, there may be something of interest for you there
http://www.archivecdbooks.org/