Author Topic: Bullen - Ann Boleyn  (Read 52842 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bullen - Ann Boleyn
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 September 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Blue Spirit

The photos are brilliant :), including John Webster Bullen (I take it that is his son and brother of Mary Ann Webster Bullen.  Do you know if they were his children or Anna Maria Webster's (his wife) children from a previous marriage or just used her maiden name as a middle name.   I've also got a Daniel Lock Bullen, a Bertha Agnes Bullen and a Polly.  Are they his kids too ???  Couldn't quite work it out :-\

Mo

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 September 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
Not to sure to be honest as i have not followed the family that much, however as you probly know the name Webster is most likly the name of the female line, as there are plenty of Webster in Stow Bedon..

I have found another lady from NC USA who has a direct interest in the family, i have emailed to ask her if its ok to forward her address to you, i am awaiting a reply...

also sent you another PM....

Thanks Blue Spirit

The photos are brilliant :), including John Webster Bullen (I take it that is his son and brother of Mary Ann Webster Bullen.  Do you know if they were his children or Anna Maria Webster's (his wife) children from a previous marriage or just used her maiden name as a middle name.   I've also got a Daniel Lock Bullen, a Bertha Agnes Bullen and a Polly.  Are they his kids too ???  Couldn't quite work it out :-\

Mo
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue Spirit

Thanks again for the last PM. It just keeps getting better   :)

However, regarding the contact in NC USA - I would love to share family knowledge with this lady (as I have an incline as to which line she comes from and it's really exciting), but would prefer to do it via Rootschat rather than direct e-mail contact.  Is that possible?

Thanks Mo

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
As i understand she does not use Rootschat, Iam not sure why you would not want to contact her via email...
I will pass your message on..

Hi Blue Spirit

Thanks again for the last PM. It just keeps getting better   :)

However, regarding the contact in NC USA - I would love to share family knowledge with this lady (as I have an incline as to which line she comes from and it's really exciting), but would prefer to do it via Rootschat rather than direct e-mail contact.  Is that possible?

Thanks Mo
Hammond-Johnson-Long.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

My 4xgreat grandmother was Mary Bullen, born around 1770 in Norfolk. Havn't got further back than that, but have also long wondered the same whether there might be a link to Anne Boleyn's family, as they were from the area, and more commonly referred to as 'Bullen' in their own time. I shall watch this thread with interest maybe we can link them all up!

Re Thomas Cromwell and the parish registers, some registers in France go back to the 1330's so if he got the idea anywhere maybe from there. That said as I understand it the reason they ordered records to be kept at this point of all personal church ceremonies baptism, marriages burials, was to keep check who was complying with the new religion C of E, and who was not, and no doubt as ever tax was an issue, knowing who was who and where. Henry VIII's treasury was near bankrupt at the time I think, I'm sure I read this is why Cromwell and his lot wanted to strip the church and monastries of their lands and wealth for the crown.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 September 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Correct Richarde, Henry, in common with many other late Medieval and early Modern Monarchs was always broke. It was something to do with their life style, and their ambitions.Though I have no known French connections, apart from a possible Hugenot name (Moule) on my mother's side, your statement about parish register commencing in France in the early 14th century will no doubt be extremely useful to other researchers.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 September 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

My 4xgreat grandmother was Mary Bullen, born around 1770 in Norfolk. Havn't got further back than that, but have also long wondered the same whether there might be a link to Anne Boleyn's family, as they were from the area, and more commonly referred to as 'Bullen' in their own time. I shall watch this thread with interest maybe we can link them all up!

Re Thomas Cromwell and the parish registers, some registers in France go back to the 1330's so if he got the idea anywhere maybe from there. That said as I understand it the reason they ordered records to be kept at this point of all personal church ceremonies baptism, marriages burials, was to keep check who was complying with the new religion C of E, and who was not, and no doubt as ever tax was an issue, knowing who was who and where. Henry VIII's treasury was near bankrupt at the time I think, I'm sure I read this is why Cromwell and his lot wanted to strip the church and monastries of their lands and wealth for the crown.

I Richarde.  It would be great to link your Bullens with my Bullens.  Where do they originate from?  Mine were from Stow Bedon.  I don't appear to have a Mary b: 1770, but I do have a Simon b: 1767.  Maybe they knew each other.  Who knows? 

Good luck

Mo

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 September 10 13:28 BST (UK) »
Dan Bullen was a well known figure around my area, he lived till 105 yrs old, at one time joined his brothers in Durham to work in the mines. when returning home he became a miller and hired a corn mill on the Carbrooke - Caston boundry. after which he farmed at Carbrooke both arable and stock. The farm  still carries the name " Bullens Farm",  Dan Bullen died on the 26th Feb 1951 he is buried at Stow Bedon along side some of his family members ,. Would you like a picture of his grave?. 

Some years ago  I did have contact with a chap who was working on his and the same family connection of Bullen & Boleyn..

If you go to my web site  click on " Broadflash" you wil see a picture of Dan working at the grand old age of 100.

Hi

Thanks. Looked at the transcriptions index now.  What a great site.  Unfortunately, the list of Bullens hasn't thrown up any known rellies, but on the Carbrooke link I found my g g Uncle Dan (Daniel Bullen b: 1846) at the Carbrooke Mill Drift Post Mill.  He was my g g Grandad's (George) brother and he lived until he was 105 - and worked until that age.

Mo
How about this for Dan Bullen.  I came across it a while back.  It is a quote from a children's newspaper:-
 Children at work - Few people can have had a working life of 98 year, but that was the record of Mr Daniel Bullen, a farmer of Carbrooke in Norfolk, who died recently  at the age of 104.  He went to work when he was six, after being at school for only half a day.  He was a new boy at his first school one morning, and in the afternoon of the same day he was taken away and sent to work scaring crows.
 ;D

Mo

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 September 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
Yes i have seen this one at some point from a Bullen family member,  seem to have his age of death wrong..

I have one in my files some where which is similar from 1949.

Dan Bullen was a well known figure around my area, he lived till 105 yrs old, at one time joined his brothers in Durham to work in the mines. when returning home he became a miller and hired a corn mill on the Carbrooke - Caston boundry. after which he farmed at Carbrooke both arable and stock. The farm  still carries the name " Bullens Farm",  Dan Bullen died on the 26th Feb 1951 he is buried at Stow Bedon along side some of his family members ,. Would you like a picture of his grave?. 

Some years ago  I did have contact with a chap who was working on his and the same family connection of Bullen & Boleyn..

If you go to my web site  click on " Broadflash" you wil see a picture of Dan working at the grand old age of 100.

Hi

Thanks. Looked at the transcriptions index now.  What a great site.  Unfortunately, the list of Bullens hasn't thrown up any known rellies, but on the Carbrooke link I found my g g Uncle Dan (Daniel Bullen b: 1846) at the Carbrooke Mill Drift Post Mill.  He was my g g Grandad's (George) brother and he lived until he was 105 - and worked until that age.

Mo
How about this for Dan Bullen.  I came across it a while back.  It is a quote from a children's newspaper:-
 Children at work - Few people can have had a working life of 98 year, but that was the record of Mr Daniel Bullen, a farmer of Carbrooke in Norfolk, who died recently  at the age of 104.  He went to work when he was six, after being at school for only half a day.  He was a new boy at his first school one morning, and in the afternoon of the same day he was taken away and sent to work scaring crows.
 ;D

Mo
Hammond-Johnson-Long.