Author Topic: thomas hulse, ov er cheshsire  (Read 5637 times)

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas hulse, ov er cheshsire
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
can anyone decipher the address on the 1841 census for john hulse ag lab, and martha, thomas ag lab and maria. not sure if it farm rd.  this is in over cheshire.

thanks

molly
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: thomas hulse, ov er cheshsire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
sorry everyone just had another look and it think it moor lane, over cheshire.  does anyone know if this still exists.

thanks

molly
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
Moors Lane is still there go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=364466,364006 you can also see the old maps.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
thanks stan. will have a look at that.  is over still in existence or has it been eaten up by winsford. keep coming back to this bit of family history and trying to break brick wall down. 

regards

molly

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Over is still there. It adjoins Winsford nowadays, but people still refer to living in Over, Winsford.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,Molly, I see that the nearest farmer has the last name Balmer.  If you access this site you can enter this last name and it will give you the land to which he had tenancy in the Over Area. Its possible that these fields are the ones that your ancestor worked on as an Ag Lab. You can see the Tithe plots buildings etc and compare them to modern maps. Good Luck.  http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
thanks stan and kath

that some good info there.  i am trying to find out where my great  great great grand dad comes from.  the information i have is that he married first of all in 1845 to anne hulse and said his father was purported to be john hulse, however, ann had a child sarah in 1846 who died sept 1846 with her mom ann passing away 25 june 1846.  he re married martha tomlinson in 1847, which is where i can follow the story.  however, 1845 when he married he called himself thomas hooley.  however, i can find nothing for his christening etc.  although there is a thomas hulse living with john and martha in over cheshire in 1841.  thomas states that he was born
1824/27.  john and martha are shown as having a daughter in 1830 in over.  in 1851 john has obviously died and martha is living with maria and her husband thomas dodd.  she says she was born in 1784 in brereton cheshire.  i have found a marriage for a john hulse and a martha summerfield 1812 in bradwall sandbach.  and a martha summerfield being born in brereton 2 may 1789.  i was wondering if john and martha never had any children and took on a base born baby, being thomas who was born in bunbury 1824/7.  i have a photo of a very smart lady called sarah hooley, with a question mark on the back of the photo, just a guess, as you do with fam history, could sarah hooley hav e had a child out of wedlock and given it away to an ag lab.  thomas called his first child sarah.  is there any way i can check out parish records or such to see if this is so.  i know it a long shot.

thanks

molly

Offline ashtoneve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Molly,
Noted your Hulse/Hooley posting, and as Hulse is a family name of mine decided to look to see if there was a connection.

Parish of Over Page 74, 28.12.1845 (147)
Thomas Hooley, full age, batchelor, labourer of Swanlow, father John Hulse, Gamekeeper, married Anne Hulse, full age, spinster of Townfields, (this is in the Parish of Over) father George Hulse, Labourer. Both signed with a "x" and John and Ann Hunt were witness, also signing with a "x".

Parish of Over Page 91, 28.12.1847 (181)
Thomas Hooley, full age, widower, labourer of Over, father John Hulse (reputed father written in brackets underneath) Labourer married Martha Tomlinson, full age, spinster of Over, father William Tomlinson, labourer.  Both signed with a "x" and again John and Ann Hunt were witness, also signing with a "x".

Burials for Parish of Over, page 31 - Anne Hooley (No 244) of Swanlow Lane, buried 25th June, 1846 aged 21 years.

Burials for St. Johns Parish of Over, Martha Hooley 5th June, 1887 aged 58 years.

Burials for St. Johns Parish of Over, Thomas Hooley 3.4.1889 aged 62 years.

There is a baptism Over Parish (No 23) for Mary Anne Hulse daughter of George and Mary Hulse of Over, 16.4.1826.  George's occupation is Sawyer.

1841 I found Thomas Hooley at Outsides (this is a farm) aged 15 Ag Lab
1851 Thomas and Martha Hooley at Oak House Lane, his occupation is now Saltboiler
1861 Thomas and Martha Hooley and family, + lodgers are in Over Lane, occupation is Saltmaker.
1871 Thomas & Martha Hooley are in Factory Street, occupation Saltboiler.

Noted in Tattenhall, Cheshire, 12.4.1829 Sarah to James and Elizabeth Hooley of Tattenhall ???  Tattenhall is not far from Bunbury, so the Hooley family must be in that area.

I too cannto find a baptism for Thomas Hooley in Bunbury.  ??

Moors Lane, Swanlow, Over Lane (now High Street), Oakhouse Lane, Factory Street are all within the environs of Over.  Winsford is made up of the two townships of Over and Wharton.  Outsides is a farm on the outskirts of Over Winsford, on the way to Little Budworth and eventually Bunbury.

Hope this helps, but after all of that, I do not think your Hulse's and my Hulse's are connected.  Hulse is a very common, Wharton, Over, Winsford name.....  many were boat people.

Regards....   Ashtoneve