Author Topic: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle  (Read 25292 times)

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you :).    If someone was a Rt. Rev. Monsingor back in the day, they would not have been married?  Elizabeth was the sister-in-law of the late Right Rev. Monsingor (sp?) Cleary, P.P. of Petaluma, California who returned to his native place near Raheen, Adamstown some twenty -five years ago where he died.  She was also a cousin of Rev. J. Meaney C.C. Kilkenny. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
links to c1900 maps of the location mentioned :

Ballykelly RC Church
  Whitechurch - CofI church & graveyard

There are no Cleary household listed in Whitechurch townland on Griffith's valuation (dated 1853 for this area), but there are two Doyles - a Philip Doyle leasing a house, offices and land of 88 acres from a William Glascott. 88 acres is a quite a sizable farm. (offices is the term used on the returns for outhouses, workshops, stables etc).

Also in the townland is a property consisting of a house and yard listed to 'John Doyle & Samuel Burchill'. Same immediate lessor as the Philip Doyle property.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
Maybe its Elizabeth's father?   Elizabeth and Patrick owned a farm, per the 1901 census (and other records we have found)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
There's also a listing for a Philip Doyle in Whitechurch townland on the Tithe records with 39 acres. There's no obvious date listed on this entry, but these records date from between about 1823 to 1837. This may be the same Philip as shown on Griffith's Valuation, or possibly his father.

see Philip Doyle, Whitechurch townland

Might be connected your Cleary/Doyle family - given the location and occurrence of Phillip as name of one of Patrick and Elizabeth's children.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is a relation.  I noticed on the 1911 Census there were Cullertons listed on their as well as farm servants.  Looking at this link you just sent me, there was a Cullerton farm as well.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:55 BST (UK) »
I scrolled back a few pages on the Tithes, and spotted a date in the declaration page beside a map  - 16th day of October, year of 1833  See following reply...

see : Whitechurch & Dunganstown - Tithes
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:59 BST (UK) »
That 1833 date I mentioned is incorrect, it applies to the previous parish in the list - the declarations come after each set of  listings.

Here's the correct one for Whitechurch parish - much earlier date of 28th August 1824

Whitechurch tithes
My Surname Interests

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
I dont even understand that or the photo:)  Picture of the farm land?  Sorry I'm new to all this ancestry and geneology stuff.  I dont really understand griffiths, and the like. 

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:05 BST (UK) »
Are there any other websites that offer marriage records?  Trying to find Patrick & Elizabeth's marriage, hoping to get their fathers names/mothers names