Author Topic: Mystery Hotel 1912 ????????  (Read 48850 times)

Offline knightstemplar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mystery Hotel 1912 ????????
« on: Monday 18 September 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Does any one know where this hotel is? ???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/UnknownHotel.jpg

It was taken in 1912 and was first thought to be Sheffield,  see

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125480
(you might need to be a member to look at this one though)

Any suggestions welcome.  It says hotel over the door and I understand is says Tetley on the light.  G and R we think to be commemorating some King George V event,  not sure which,  but where is it?  On the back of the photo it says Charles Buxton Sheffield.

Its driving us mad.   Come and have a look what sheffieldforum have to say if you have a few minutes.  Warning we are up to 12 pages already.

Sue ;)
Researching Prestons of Prescot, Tanners of Sheffield

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Hotel 1912 ????????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 06 22:57 BST (UK) »
No idea where the hotel is but the crown in the window above the door is definitely a 'Queens' crown - Victoria perhaps.
The hotel reminds me of the old 'station' hotels which were situated near the railway stations in most of the major northern towns. There is one next to the station in York that looked very much like yours.
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenwillow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
Aren't the letters G and R (for George V  - 1910-1936) ?
If we really are stuck, would it be worth popping a copy of the photo in the post to Tetley's (the brewer) and see if they recognise it? Their web page is 'under construction'  but their snail mail is - Tetley’s Brewery Wharf
The Waterfront, Leeds LS1 1QG - England, UK

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 19:56 GMT (UK) »
It probably is more likely a "C" and a "B" as I see no charcter markings to make it an upper-case G...and isn't there a glow refecting from the bottom of the letter on the right which might mean there is a bottom stroke on the letter...a "B"...

Now this is a very low res file...so if you could please scan & enlarge just the right side of the photo....I could adjust the gamma on it to be sure, but as it is, it's just too pixelated...

You can also email me a good scan as I can accept several meg by email...
and then I'll post and call the rootschat experts in here....I'll p.m. my email address to you...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I adjusted the gamma a bit and seems to be a shadow from the right, again suggesting a "B"...but as I say I can't see the original...and maybe it is an "R" clear as day...
Those lovely bay windows should give it away for someone to recognise it, though! J.J.

( partial photo only...see above url for complete)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline knightstemplar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply unfortunately it came from another site.  I am just passing it on to as many people as possable.  It does come from a post card size photo.

see http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125480 for more info.

You need to be a member to post a reply though. Or  I can pass a message on.

Sue

Offline knightstemplar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 20:12 GMT (UK) »
It definately is a G and R as I have seen it on a photo of another pub of the same date.  They must have had a problem making it, with the middle to the G cut off a bit short.

Thanks
Sue

Paul E

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just spent an enjoyable half hour reading the thread on Sheffield Forum ... come on Rootschatters - let's see if we can sort this one out!  ;D

For my money, the letters are 'C' and 'R'  (the two circles in a 'B' would, I think, be of more equal weight, but I think this shows a smaller circle for the top, and I'm not convinced the 'circle' on the bottom is a full one).

Like dave the tyke, I'm heading in the direction of a railway hotel.

This site suggests there was a Great Central Railway that connected Sheffield with  Manchester and Lincolnshire.

Could this, therefore, be a hotel for the Central Railway?

There's what looks like a shop on the left hand corner, and then an archway that looks awfully like it might be an entrance into a booking hall, with either posters or booking counters lit up inside.

Am I barking up a wild goose here?  ??? ;D

cheers

Paul

Paul E

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Here's an enlargement of the bit I think is the entrance to the booking hall...
what do you think?