Author Topic: Catholic Baptism Records Online  (Read 3897 times)

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Baptism Records Online
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 November 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hmm I'm not sure why people from Woolton (or garston) would go to Kensington to get married.
Angela, Perth, West Australia.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
Hart: Garston and Woolton (UK), Roscommon (Irl).
McC(h)rystal: Garston, Wigan, Desertmartin (Nrthn Irl), Canada, USA, Australia
Miller: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Jones: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Boyle: (Derry, Irl)
Gill: Garston L'pool UK, and Ireland.
Cannon: Woolton and Roscommon
Callaghan: Unknown.
And more.

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 November 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
It isn't any great distance, and perhaps was the most suitable RC church available at the time.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 November 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
True, and their witnesses have addresses in garston.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
And more.

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 November 14 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The image of the marriage entry you have put a link to shows that both bride and groom  have given addresses in Upper Dalton Street.  It was usual for the marriage to take place in the bride's parish church, ie. the church which was designated as the one serving the immediate area where she was living at the time. I can find a Dalton Street in the area for Sacred Heart parish on a 1901 map. Do you know where Upper Dalton Street was ? I would assume it must be in the same immediate area. Unless you know otherwise ?
Joney
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 November 14 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I found reference to an Upper Dalton Street here but I am not sure what to do with the corresponding details, to find out where it was. Its from 1851

http://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/Streets1851/StreetsU.htm

I am *so* frustrated right now.  For the life of me I can't find the 1891 census of Thomas and Maria (which I know exists), I can't find any of the catholic baptisms which I know exist because it was my first experience with Latin.   ??? :'(

And more.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 November 14 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to repost in the lookup request section and try to find these documents.  I can't explain how miserable I feel! 

My Grandmother Annie died in 1981 (I was 2 yrs old). 

3 years ago when I asked my dad and surviving paternal aunty about Granny, the only things they knew was that

1) She had a sister called Mary, and

2) although they (grannies kids) had all been born and raised in Garston, granny got occasional visitors from Woolton.

Granny had industrial deafness from working in the Bobbin Works from she was very young.  She didn't have complex conversations with her kids.

I looked through family documents and all I found was newspaper clippings of her obituaries.  These (written by her children) all stated she was 87 when she died in 1981... meaning she was born c1894

I couldn't find a family with siblings Mary (older) and Annie (younger) that fit granny being born c1894, anywhere in Lancashire.  But I did find a family that fit granny being born c1897.  Thomas Hart, Maria (nee Cannon) Hart, and Daughters Mary and Annie.  But I thought it was not provably my family due to the birth date discrepancy.

Then I put aside grannies family for a couple of yrs.  This week in the mail I got granny and grandads certificate of marriage.  And low and behold Grannies father *is* Thomas Hart AND granny is aged 22 in 1919 - meaning she was born c1897, not c1894.  ARGH!

But why can I not find these documents about grannies family that I found so easily 2-3 years ago?  (or found by luck).

My frustration level is 15 out of 10  :-\ .  OK vent over.  I truely appreciate everyones replies and leads.  I've tried using the leads given.

And more.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 November 14 08:52 GMT (UK) »
This is just a quick starter, I'll try and do more later.
There's an Ann Hart birth registered in West Derby in 1897, Q1, Vol 8b P 652.  West Derby reg district does include Garston.  It's a possibility, Annie may have been her name with Ann as her formal registration.
As your last piece of definite information was in 1922, I'd try working back from there starting with the 1911 census.
Hope to get back later - good luck!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 November 14 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I really couldn't resist!
I found this, 8 years before Annie's marriage;
Thomas 52 , Maria 49, Maria 18, Anna 14 living in Dingle Vale, Garston.

Looks like them.  If so, start taking them back from there one step at a time.  I've found it really difficult sometimes to dive into the earlier information, it's often easier to trace back from the last thing you definitely know.

P.S. having managed to type Garstang throughout instead of Garston, I think I've corrected them all now.  If I missed any - it should read Garston
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 November 14 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Maggie - Garstang is by Preston ( not being sarcastic - I know you mean Garston ,but you keep posting Garstang - no offence )
Garston is a dock area in Liverpool - it was Lancashire until 1906 when it became a part of Liverpool.
My Birth Certificate states Wavertree - Garston is encompassed into Wavertree for births on Lancsbmd
Ann Hart 1897 on Lancsbmd states Wavertree - so 99% sure she is a Garston birth
St Austin Church in Garston - a RC church built in 1838 and is still a popular church ...why didn`t she marry there ?...I can only think that in those days couples used to give the same address to save Banns being posted in both parish churches if a couple lived 7 miles apart ...so probably a money thing ....
Hiya Angie - hows your dad doing ??...plenty of his mates here asking about him xxxxx
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford