Author Topic: Jordans in Iken  (Read 3156 times)

Offline ajtj01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jordans in Iken
« on: Wednesday 20 August 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
Have recently found a Settlement Certificate for Abraham Jordan (1736 - 1808) and his wife (Barbara 1736 - 1809) and Family (Abraham 1764 - 1831 and Benjamin 1767 - ?) for transfer from Iken to Sternfield. The trail is solid from here on, but does anyone have any information about Abrahams parents, I believe they were Abraham and Mary. I can find the family in the Iken church registers in the 1760s but have not been able to decipher any further back.

I have not been able to find reference in the adjoining parishes for the expected dates nor a settlement certificate to cover the arrival. Some of the Pakenham group fit the early dates but I do not think they are connected.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jordans in Iken
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
checked Suffolk burial index for sternfield. only other Abraham buried is an infant. Abraham & Barbara both there plus a daughter :

Mary died 8/11/1771 dau of Abraham & Barbara

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage in the Suffolk Marriage Index on 20/07/1740 for Abraham Jordan to Mary Hatcher in Beccles. Both single, Abraham's parish is Sibton and Mary is from Cookley parish.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline ajtj01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information and possible leads, we now know with a degree of certainty that Abraham and Barbara were not married in Iken, nor was Abraham baptised there so they must have moved to the parish sometime around 1760. Sadly settlement records do no seem to have survived from this period so I am now searching surrounding parishes.

Does anyone know of any land movements, eg enclosures or changes of ownership around this time?