Author Topic: Glasgow - George Arthur Smith and Margaret Smith  (Read 6822 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow - George Arthur Smith and Margaret Smith
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 April 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
What were Margaret Phillip's parents' names from her marriage?

Monica

Added: The earlier 1901 census reference to Uddingston for Margaret...it is the Bothwell Parish that you mentioned, so fits well.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 April 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Monica
That was really interesting find because his sibling birth certificate the maiden name is cameron as in in the sibling marriage certificate.
Margaret's maiden name is Phillip from George 1896's birth entry.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:02 BST (UK) »

I had wondered how George Smith (grandson) born Baillieston 1896 died at war would be recorded or if ever recorded at all. 

If his death was recorded, the site to check on would be www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx  I got a result of 370 records for a George Smith for WW2, a little more if you use just initial of 'G'. Some entries have ages (which helps you narrowing down choices) some don't. This means in most cases that no further personal info was recorded. The CWGC is an invaluable resource. There are also other sites. I have assumed for the searches that I did that George Smith b. 1896 was military rather than navy etc.

Monica

PS: I am guessing you don't know what year he died in?

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
The Margaret Phillip is a new one on me.  On the GAS and MC marriage certificate June 1892 her parents are listed as Neil and Ann Cameron maiden name Ferguson.  Same on MC's 1865 birth certificate no mention of a Phillip.

What were Margaret Phillip's parents' names from her marriage?

Monica

Added: The earlier 1901 census reference to Uddingston for Margaret...it is the Bothwell Parish that you mentioned, so fits well.

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
Nothing is known about him at all.

I had wondered how George Smith (grandson) born Baillieston 1896 died at war would be recorded or if ever recorded at all. 

If his death was recorded, the site to check on would be www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx  I got a result of 370 records for a George Smith for WW2, a little more if you use just initial of 'G'. Some entries have ages (which helps you narrowing down choices) some don't. This means in most cases that no further personal info was recorded. The CWGC is an invaluable resource. There are also other sites. I have assumed for the searches that I did that George Smith b. 1896 was military rather than navy etc.

Monica

PS: I am guessing you don't know what year he died in?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
The Margaret Phillip is a new one on me. 

Odd isn't it. This must be Margaret Cameron's birth, fitting the details on her marriage entry: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQHM-G7L

The fact that first born daughter in 1901 showed as Annie also fits well with the details you have.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
A really important thing to remember for these times...There were no formal checks made by Registrars on the information given to them for BMDs in the main. Mistakes on names do creep in sometimes, and for us now, can make research and working back trickier  :-\ Couple this with spelling variations in a period of history where the mass of the population was illiterate, it simply stacks up the odds.

However, in the main, for many the information holds up well so many years later.  :)

Monica

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:18 BST (UK) »
Yes I had spotted this being an a novice and I prefer that idea to a more sinister finding - but we never know!
A really important thing to remember for these times...There were no formal checks made by Registrars on the information given to them for BMDs in the main. Mistakes on names do creep in sometimes, and for us now, can make research and working back trickier  :-\ Couple this with spelling variations in a period of history where the mass of the population was illiterate, it simply stacks up the odds.

However, in the main, for many the information holds up well so many years later.  :)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
I can only see three children born to Neil and Ann - all in Bothwell:

Margaret 1865
Catherine 1866
Jean 1871

Wondering if something happended to one of the parents? Have you viewed the marriage for parents of Margaret to see their ages etc.?

Monica