Author Topic: Glasgow census address only  (Read 3146 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow census address only
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 March 14 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkryn and Monica,

Thanks so much for your efforts in searching for my Wright family.
 Thanks also to my cousin - we have now found the family - still at 76 Helenvale St. - Andrew age 33 (fireman), and "Nellie" = our "Helen/Ellen" - and children "Lizzie" - i.e. Elizabeth, Robert, Marion and Jane.    Yes, they were at 102 Dawson St., in 1901 census, - but they must have moved to Helenvale St., between census, cos there were extra children born - and we know that one of the children "Ellen Lavell Wright" died in November 1910, at Helenvale St.  Thanks for the effort Falkryn  - but the Ellen Wright you found - ms Forbes was wrong - my Ellen's ms was "Lavell".

Again - Rootschatters are so helpful - and manage to not only help solve problems, but instruct and teach at the same time.  Special thanks to the both of you!
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 March 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
        Helenvale Street is still there.      The northern end of it comes out onto Tollcross road, a matter of yards from Parkhead Cross.     The Parkhead Forge Steelworks, which used to be situated in the Parkhead area, used to employ lots of men until after world war two, and a shopping centre now occupies that position and is named "The Forge" in memory of it.        If Andrew Wright was an engineer or fireman and might have worked in a steelworks and was living in either Helenvale St or nearby Camlachie, it is quite possible he was working at the Forge.       The old Forge was very large and sprawling, belching lots of smoke from chimney stacks - heavy industry!       

.... I remember there was a narrow-guage, single railway line that crossed Duke St just about two hundred yards down from Parkhead cross.     If you were going along Duke St up to Parkhead on a tram or a bus, a barrier would sometimes come down right across the main road, and everyone would then watch for the tiny little train crossing the road, from one side of the Forge works to the other.      Everyone was familiar with this, and kids loved to see the dainty wee train.   

At one time, around the first world war, I think it was, the Forge was the largest steelworks in Scotland employing 20,000 men.         

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 March 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi doddsie4,

Thanks for the "Memories" - are they personal?  My family history is full of men who worked in the forge - right up to my mother's brother who worked there before coming to Australia in the 1960's.  I haven't seen Glasgow since the mid 80's - so it is interesting to hear about the changes.  Wonder what the Forge works of the 19th and 20th century would think of the area now?
Cheers - and thanks again
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 March 14 10:08 GMT (UK) »
maggbill,
              I was born in 1943, so I am just old enough to have remembered seeing the wee train engine crossing Duke Street.      I loved to see it!      The Forge shopping centre was built, if I remember right, around the 1980's.       I go there a lot.     I like Asda and there are in-shops etc.      But there is now also a shopping centre further down Duke St, separate from The Forge, called The Forge Market, which has lots of small businesses grouped together, something like an indoor Barraas in a way.       

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 March 14 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Great old memories - but tell me doddsie - what are "in-shops"??  My young memories are of Pollok where we had moved to in 1953 or so - I only have vague remembrances of the east end of Glasgow - used to visit the odd relative there.  Love looking at old photos on "Virtual Mitchell". 

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 March 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
        The In-shops at the Forge Market are like very closely grouped shops, but the shops don't usually have doors, just an open space to walk in and just sort of thin partitions separating them from the next shop.    They take up very little space - they are usually not quite as large as an ordinary shop.      The advantage for shoppers is that because everything is grouped close together, you can see a lot in a shorter space of time, and there is not so much walking to do.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 March 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
    MonicaL,
                  You said that you wondered what was throwing out your search for them on the 1911 census, because Helen/Ellen is not in the household.     The 1911 census that you mentioned is for 76 Helenvale St, and Helen/Ellen is under the name NELLIE.     (As you probably know, an Ellen is sometimes called Nellie.     I have one like that on my own tree).    So you were on to the correct census all along.

maggbill,
                  I opened that 1911 census and it reads as follows:
Andrew Wright  33 11 years married 7 children born, 4 living.   Fireman Engineering
Nellie                29 wife
Lizzie               10
Robert               8
Marion               7
Jane                  4
James Wright    30 (Brother)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 March 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank Doddsie  :)

Yes, Nellie caught me out. Glad to hear she was alive and well in the 1911 census though!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk