Author Topic: Aikenheads pre 1700 in East Kilbride.  (Read 875 times)

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aikenheads pre 1700 in East Kilbride.
« on: Monday 31 March 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi. My first family members in East Kilbride appeared out of nowhere and I thought that they may have been brothers. Alexander married Margaret Paterson in 1714 and David married Isobel Thompson 1715.
 Children of Alex were Alexander 1715, James 1717, Jennet 1719, William 1721, John 1724 and David 1726.
Children of David were James 1716, John 1718, Jennet 1721, Agness 1727 and James 1740.
However searches on CJCLDS and confirmed on S.P., give me little clue as to their origin.
Parents of  an Alexander include William and Marion, James and Joanet, Alexander and Margaret.
Parents of a David include Patrick and Grissell, James and Anna, Thomas and Jean, Alexander and Margaret, David and Elspet, John and Isobell, David and Helen.
The underlined were the only ones to have had two sons with the correct names (Edinburgh Parish, Midlothian) - David 1678 and Alexander 1679.
Following naming traditions, I am at a loss to predict who are the parents.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Aikenheads pre 1700 in East Kilbride.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Oodles around Lanark pre 1700 also Strathaven and Eaglesham.  NAS has many listed but you need to broaden your search using spelling variations (there are many).  Remember a lot of pre 1700 records are missing or simply don't exist.  You should read the History of Rutherglen and East Kilbride by David Ure, I believe it to be available online and if I recall mentions a Aikenhead family in Rutherglen.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aikenheads pre 1700 in East Kilbride.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don. The above Aikenheads include five spelling variations and were from all records, all Parishes. Mainly Midlothian, Angus and one from Glasgow.  My search covered the period of their marriage date minus 18 to minus 40years viz. 1674-1696. The fact that the births may never have been recorded, is obviously a stumbling block.
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.