Author Topic: Margaret Ann Killen and her son Alexander  (Read 2107 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Ann Killen and her son Alexander
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
Re the marriage Shirl has found on freebmd 1901
On www.lancashirebmd.org.uk 1901 it is Peter Cavanagh - but Margaret is Margaret A HILLEN ...that may be a mistranscription ??  that marriage could also be an RC church ...
looks a good possibility to me - but - it is March qtr 1901 so up to March 31st 1901 -  what date was the 1901 census taken ??...Ruth says she has Margaret Ann and Alexander in 1901 census ??
if the census was taken after March 31st - it can`t be her Margaret Ann Killen ...but looks a good bet for me ...
ADDED...Wiki states 1901 census was taken 31st March ....so it doesn`t look like that is our Margaret Ann Killen ...??
Ruth ...can you post your 1901 census info for Margaret Ann Killen and Alexander Killen so we can rule out the Marriage to Peter Cavanagh...

the entry is at RG13 3466 116 14
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Ann Killen and her son Alexander
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 June 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
the census was meant to be those in the house on the night of 31st by which time she would be a Cavanagh.   

I wonder if whoever gave the Enumerator details just got it wrong

Don't forget that before 1911 all we have are the enumerators' summaries. The household forms would have been delivered some days before, and could well have been filled in early. Which night did you fill in your last census form?

In this case the person who filled in the household form was probably accurate on the night they did it, and it has taken well over a century for anyone to notice.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.